I'm new here...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by robinm609, Sep 7, 2016.

1. robinm609

robinm609 Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    My Coop
    I am new at keeping backyard chickens -- and really enjoying them! I have 4 hens, raised from juveniles, named after the Golden Girls. Two are about 23 weeks old (NH Red and Salmon Faverolles) and 2 are about 18 weeks old (Black Australorp and Easter Egger).

The girls have a nice coop-house with 2 nest boxes, inside a converted dog run. No free-ranging allowed; there are many predators in our area. In an effort to keep things dry, we covered the dog run with a roof and now the chickens refuse to sleep inside the coop -- instead they insist on sleeping on top of the coop-house roof. Hopefully they will be smart enough to sleep inside once the weather turns cold.

I am awaiting our first egg. Any day now, I think. Sophia (the Salmon Faverolles) shows all the signs of being ready to lay: she's rounded out the bedding in the nest box, sits on the nest on and off during the day, and does the 'submissive squat' thing whenever I approach her. She's been doing that for about a week. Blanche (the NH Red) has been seen poking around the nest area, but doesn't squat yet. I check the box every day but so far, nothing.

I'm feeding them a commercial Layer crumble food and they have oyster shell bits available to them. They get some healthy treats every other day.

Any advice or tips from the BYC community would be welcome.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. The only tip I can think of is patience - eggs will come sooner, rather than later [​IMG]

Best wishes
    CT

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I agree, eggs any time now. :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you with us. I think you'll be enjoying that first egg very soon. Best wishes! :)

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. robinm609

robinm609 Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the welcoming messages.

I'm happy to announce that after five weeks of squatting, Sophia has finally given us our first egg!
    [​IMG]

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens! Oh, first eggs! How exciting! Now go fry it up and marvel at the wonderful color of the yolks!

9. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC :)

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. Congrats on that first egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by