I'm new here

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by randallt1, Feb 17, 2013.

1. randallt1

randallt1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    Hi folks, we have two 1 yr old Pekins and we love them so much. I signed up here when we first got them and lurked enough to get started. Things have worked out really well, thanks. Gladys and Amelia are daylight free rangers that are accompanied by one or two dogs most of the time. We live in the woods in the mountains and these ducks do a lot of climbing. They own half our back deck in a low fenced section with a secure coop and hang out after dark in their little world till we go to bed around eleven. When you go in to put them to bed, Amelia walks right in the coop. Gladys insists on being picked up and placed inside. Too cute.

I've read some things lately that made me question some of my techniques for caring for the ducks so I look forward to spending more time here. They seem to be thriving and very healthy and happy. And they run/flap so fast it's hilarious.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG]

Hi, do keep in mind there are various ways in which to raise ducks, plus breeds, size of flock and your location all play a role in how you go about this.

If your ducks are thriving i'd say your doing what is right for them. We'd love to see pictures... don't be shy! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

If they are healthy and happy, it sounds like you are doing fine. Somethings work for some people and not for others.

I think there are a few basic standards to raise happy ducks. Secure shelter, balanced feed, fresh water and run/coop maintenance are the basics, for me at least.

As GQ suggested do post pics of your girls. I'm assuming that is one in your profile pic. That is a happy looking Pekin.

Post pics of your set up too. I am on a mountain also but most of the property has been cleared for pasture [​IMG] losses (chickens only) to hawks and coyotes made me stop them from ranging on most of the property. About a month or so ago I started letting my birds (ducks and chickens) range in the wooded area on the edge of the property. There is a creek in there and they stay in the woods for most of the day.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a cute avatar, and [​IMG]
    we're in western NC too. [​IMG]

5. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    [​IMG]be careful there could be predators out there. and to share one of my expiriences pekins are in my opinion the fattest (of course) and the funniest ducks in the world. i always have a kiddie pool for my ducks. those pekins would almost splash half the water out in 30 seconds. i also have pekin blood with my current 4 ducks as they are pekin/mallard cross and im getting 4 females this spring. also do your female pekins make a sound like QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK. mine do and it is quite loud and annoying and sorta funny.

6. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Hi , I have 1 pekin and got to say the breed is my favorite. Congrats on coming out from lurking ;)

7. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    WELCOME!!!

I have 8 pekins and love them all!

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome! [​IMG]

If your ducks are happy and healthy and safe, you're doing well.

Nice to hear from you. I like learning about alternative duck care strategies.

9. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG], glad you joined! Enjoy your ducks and the forum.

10. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Beautiful pekins! Mine will be 1 next month :) Has your girls started laying yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by