I'm new here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by creeturefeeture, Nov 7, 2013.

1. creeturefeeture

creeturefeeture New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    No Cal
    Just moved to the coast in No Cal and I have a 20 acre property with a built in chicken coop building! What breeds of chickens would be best for me to start out and how many? Thanks!
    Can't wait for fresh eggs!

2. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    [​IMG], I would start in the Raising Backyard chickens section in the forum, then research what type of chickens are available in your area.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Check out the Learning Center. also "where am I, where are you," in the social forum so you can locate and post on your state thread.

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

20 Acres! I'd just get two of everything!

In all seriousness, Welcome to BYC. With the resources here you will be able to select and build a healthy and productive flock in no time.

Glad you joined us.

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

"Built in chicken building" I would start by cleaning out the old coop by scraping any dried poo off surfaces like the perches and corners then I would bleach everything and lastly I would sprinkle an insecticide all over everything, anything containing permethrin. Also if it had a fenced in run area I would remove 2 inches of the soil off the top and replace with a course sand. Afterwards I would burn it all or take it to the dump. Old coops can harbor mites and other disease's for many years in the soil and droppings.

For egg production nothing beats the White Leghorn, mine lay through hot or cold, long or short day cycle an egg a day from every one of them.
    For companionship my Buff Orpingtons are almost dog like following me around as I do yard work.
    For a pet to be held or yard ornaments my Silkies are beautiful and cuddly, but don't do well in the rain or cold.

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve. :frow

1 person likes this.
  6. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Welcome to BYC! As All Henned Up says, clean the coop thoroughly, or get rid of it. You don't want to introduce chickens to a coop that may be infested with lice or mites, or any diseases the other chickens that were in that coop may have had.

For starter breeds I highly recommend Buff Orpingtons. They are very sweet towards people, great layers, and very pretty. I have 5 and I absolutely love mine. Another breed is Rhode Island Red's. Not as sweet as Buff Orps, but great layers. You can also look into Easter Eggers.

How many chickens you get is up to you. It depends on how many eggs you want, how many can fit in your coop, and how many you can afford.

Good luck!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Good advice given above, I'll suggest browsing through the Breeds tab and have a look at the different breeds and their characteristics. Enjoy your new venture!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new home, and welcome to BYC. As others have stated, define your needs and get birds that will satisfy those needs - meat, eggs, dual purpose, lawn ornaments. Good luck at establishing your flock.

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by