I'm new here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kim Yuhas, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Kim Yuhas

Kim Yuhas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2014
    I need to get rid of my rooster, taking him to a local farm it's a refuge for roosters, but I only have one hen can anyone tell me if she'll be fine till I get my hands on more hens or do I have to continue to play keep away with my rooster??? Btw it's not a fun game!!!
    Thanks
    Kim

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG]
    It is never a good idea to keep a chicken by themselves. They are social animals, and hate being alone. *I* would get some new hens ASAP, and then get rid of your rooster. Especially if he is aggressive.

3. Kim Yuhas

Dec 18, 2014
    I've been looking for hens and haven't found any....this sucks he's so mean she even stays away from him....thanks

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Where are you located? Sharing your location will enable the members here to suggest some sources for birds to keep your hen company - if you are not too selective and open to a layer that is past prime production age that may open of the possibilities and make finding these birds even easier as a lot of folks "retire" their laying hens after the first or second laying cycle - you'll still get some eggs out of them, but as they are not at the height of production those that rely on getting as many eggs as possible from their flocks choose to replace them with younger, more productive birds.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X2. have you tried Craigslist? (Do you have Craigslist were you live?) You can often find people selling hens on there if you are not worried about breed/age.

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. Kim Yuhas

Dec 18, 2014
    I'm located in Shelton, CT and yes I've been searching craigslist. I'll take a retiree as long as to keep Miss Peggy company.

8. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I hope you can find another one soon so you can get rid of the beast.

9. Kim Yuhas

Dec 18, 2014
    He's so mean I can't even navigate around him without a stick in my hand....he doesn't like those, maybe a branch fell on him at sometime...but yea he's evil, PURE EVIL

10. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I had one that was pretty ruthless too. He ended up on my grill :) He would stalk me around the yard no matter how far away I was. The second I turned my back I could here him thumping up behind me like a herd of rhinos. The one we have now is a complete saint compared to Chomper (rightfully named haha)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by