I'm new - hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by got chickens, Dec 15, 2011.

1. got chickens

got chickens New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    I have chickens. I live in California in residential area. I wanted to join the forum because I need help.

Last night a raccoon got one of my chickens. The chickens were locked up. My cage looks like a cage - metal and bar like. Anyway, the raccoon managed to pull my chicken's wing out of the small opening in the bars and ATE THE WING COMPLETELY OFF. All that is left is the bone just hanging there. Amazingly, the chicken seems ok (other than that). Came out of the cage walking and ate right away and drank. Laid an egg as well.

I'm wondering what to do now. Can we cut off the bone that is hanging there? Is it a matter of just cutting it? Will there be pain still? I assume the chicken can still live with one wing assuming it doesn't get infected.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    First of all Welcome to BYC.

As for your hen I can't say what to do, sorry. Except keep it clean and try to prevent infection until it heals over.

As for the coon, I'm sure you'll dispatch of him real soon, so he doesn't get anymore of your birds. I lock my birds up in the coop at night. You also might want to cover things with hardware cloth.

Hope things improve for you girl,

Rancher

3. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    Yeah I think you can take the wing off but I don't know how and it needs to be kept clean. What type of wire did you use for the cage? You said bars but you need to put hardware cloth around it as well so that nothing can reach in. at least 1/2" x 1/2" Not chicken wire because they can reach thru that as well. You may need to repost this under emergencies section so you get more answers

*edited for spelling [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Yes, welcome. Sorry it's under such stressful circumstances, but I'm glad you joined us.

Raccoons will reach through small spaces and grab and eat whatever they can pull through. Like rancher says, if you do not have a secure coop to lock them into every evening, covering all those open spaces with hardware cloth is an extremely good (necessary) idea. The raccoon will likely be back soon.

Infection is an issue with any open wound. Also, the possibility of your other birds pecking at the bone and any exposed tissue. Maggots from flies could be an issue. I don't know how to treat this. If it were me, I'd probably be asking the advise of the nearest avian vet.

Hopefully, you'll get a response from someone on here who has dealt with this.

Good luck.

Edited to second what S.L.Swope said about posting this in the emergencies section.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  5. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    I am so sorry to hear about your poor girl... Like the posts above, I heartily reccommend posting this under the emergencies thread. We are glad you came to BYC for help, only wish you were able to join us under less trying circumstances.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to both of you!! [​IMG]

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!
    Sorry about your hen, chickens feel pain just like any other animal. Make sure you isolate her, put her on antibiotics and keep the would clean. Chickens do fine with one wing. Good luck with her and I'm glad you are asking for help. A lot of very helpful people of byc!

7. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

8. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

9. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    [​IMG] I'm glad your here!

As for your hen......I wouldn't cut off the bone, but that might just be me. Keep the wounded area clean with neosporin or any other antibiotic. AND seperate her so that your other chickens don't peck at her.
    -Now for the coon you might want to consider killing it before it gets another one of your hens, also cover your coop with something it can't reach through. ALso PLEASE repost this in the emergencies thread and give it a name such as: "please help. Chickens arm eaten off by a racoon."
    Good Luck!!
    -Roxy

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by