I'm new... Is this NORMAL?--- a normal chicken nap time??!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbboelt, Jan 7, 2013.

1. kbboelt

kbboelt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    East Texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, it's a great way for them to keep their feet warm. That's a very tolerant dog.

3. kbboelt

Jan 7, 2013
    East Texas
    I agree! We are NEW to raising chickens- we got our first day old Chicks late Sept.- Our White Pryenees spends all night protecting them in the country & naps during the day with them ALL (our chickens free range)... is it the Norm??...

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, that dog IS in their normal sun-bathing spot!

;-)

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Shoot, if I could get away with that kind of stuff, I'd do it. Don't blame them a bit!

6. kbboelt

Jan 7, 2013
    East Texas
    I wish I could upload the picture of 15 chickens sun bathing/napping today with the the 140lb pup! God Forbid- they start laying eggs on that warm fluffy good 'ol boy&/goodness!! :)

7. kbboelt

Jan 7, 2013
    East Texas
    I hear you- Me too! So... For free range chickens- its not so normal...?!

8. kbboelt

Jan 7, 2013
    East Texas
    The pup is true blue Protector--- You think the chickens are all so friendly because the chickens are free range or because they have only had been Organic feed, or....?

9. mairead

mairead Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Redwood, NY
    i have a rooster that sleeps on one of my horses at night it keeps his toes warm. I think its normal since he kind of grown up with the horses. Didn't want to be with the rest of the chickens.

10. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

I strongly believe that any animals can 'bond' if given the right circumstances and personalities... there is no absolute 'rule' to normal in the animal world! At our place our dogs routinely lay in the pens with the chickens, the cats sleep with the dogs, the chickens can be fed in front of the dogs and cats, it is normal on a sunny day to see a group of chickens, our dogs and one or two cats all napping in the same shady area... and the normal 'oddities' go on and on.
    Again, this is based on individual animal personalities, though I also believe some human training/conditioning can help foster the good will between the animals. I think it is great that your Pyr was so taken with the flock and it was reciprocated! Enjoy and get lots of pics, they are awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by