I'm new! Need baby chick help...

frackmomma

Chirping
Feb 8, 2019
Molalla, OR
Hello! I've been watching this site for a while but just got four new baby chicks from our local feed store, so I thought it was time to officially join!

The first three days my chicks were doing great, and then I noticed my Rhode Island Red was not as active as the others and had some white pasty (and really stinky) poop. I cleaned off her vent because it looked pasted over and put her back with the rest and they bullied and pecked her so much I separated her. I gave her food and water but she wasn't moving much and wouldn't stand up at all. She started to eat and drink and got some rest. Today (two days later) I still have her separated and she's doing much better, walking again, has normal poop and is preening herself. She's much smaller than the other three.

My question is when should I move her back with the others or should I keep her separated for a while? She is definitely lonely, she kept me up last night with her chirping!

Thank you for everyone's advice!

:welcome
Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC.
I’d put the RIR back in. It will get pecked but that’s normal. I had 27 going at it when they were chicks until an established pecking order evolves.

9C3AFBE5-67B4-438A-9BA5-ABAA5C9E3A95.jpeg

I would put her back in but keep an eye on things. Some pecking is normal, but you don't want her to get injured. If it's just one trouble-maker, you could take the trouble-maker out for a little while, maybe a few hours, and then put her back in and see if she has "forgotten" about the little one.

I would put her back in but keep an eye on things. Some pecking is normal, but you don't want her to get injured. If it's just one trouble-maker, you could take the trouble-maker out for a little while, maybe a few hours, and then put her back in and see if she has "forgotten" about the little one.

Great idea! My Amaracauna seems to be the instigator. Thank you!

Hello, Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:woot I would keep her/him with the rest of the chicks. The problem will only get worse if you wait and decide to put her in at a later age. It is part of the pecking order and there won't be as much confusion once it is established.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

byc-sm-greeting.jpg

You've received some good advice already to put her back with the others. Do you have enough extra supplies to keep one separated? Food water and heat? Sometimes if a separation is necessary it's good to just use a simple mesh or wire barrier so all the chicks can still see each other, and will make re-introduction easier.

Glad to hear she's doing better. How old are all the chicks now? Some things that might help deter bullying is making sure there is enough space in your brooder... it gets crowded real quick with fast growing chicks. Many problems are solved when birds have enough room to just run away or hide... true for babies and adults.

You can also offer some things in the brooder to keep them busy and distracted like:
-a little perch
-a shallow bowl with sand or dirt for dust baths
-a little mirror to admire themselves in
-a chunk of sod from outside for chicks to nibble and help build immunities to their future surroundings. Remember if you give this (or any other foods besides chick starter) to also offer chick-sized grit. They will need it for proper digestion.

Best wishes with your new little flock!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I agree with keeping the little RIR in the brooder with the others separated by a little wire fence with the heat source centered over the fence so it will provide heat to both sides.
Support the RIR with some poultry nutri-drench, scrambled egg and electrolytes in her water for a few days to get her strength back then do some monitored co-mingling so see if she can hold her own.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom