Im new so get ready for questions...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Justin P, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Justin P

Justin P Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Southeast Virginia
    First of all hello to everyone on BYC, I have read your forums and post for a year while planning my coop. I am currently building something like the Wichita coop with a few alterations. I live in a neighborhood and have my coop place near my shed to help block noise. I have a six foot privacy fence and plan on doing some planting to help defuse any complaints. I would like to get three or four hens and am definately leaning towards Barred rocks or buff orps. So my question is which of these two breeds would most likely be the quietest. I know they all make noise i am just looking for suggestions. Thankyou for your help, Justin Perry.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Justin, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I think both BRs and BOs are reckoned fairly calm, docile, and quiet birds. I have had both and found my BOs to be more quiet - not that the BRs were noisy....just a little more so than the Orps. Of course, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find folks on BYC that say just the opposite! I think you will be okay with either choice.

3. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I have 2 very young BR chicks and so far they r very very calm n sweet. I'm also partial to golden buffs( sex links) cuz its a hybrid bird perfect for first timers like me. They are also lil egg laying machines n my neighbors didn't even know I had hens cuz they r so quiet. Good luck!

4. eggorthechicken

eggorthechicken The Henabler

Apr 29, 2012
    Wayne County WV
    Welcome! I think either would be just as quiet as the other however you may get some talkers. I got faverolles because I read how docile and quiet they were...holy moly...they are the most talkative birds I have...always got something to say. [​IMG] My cochins are my quiet ones. [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I heard Silkies are very quiet, just to confuse the issue LOL

6. Justin P

Jan 26, 2013
    Southeast Virginia
    Thanks for your post, I think I will just have to see what is available here soon, my coop is at least 80 feet from any house so I think it wont be a problem even if i get a chatter box. I was thinking about putting lattice up on the back to kind of shield it, I just got nervous reading some of the "neighbor wars" in some of the forums. I am surrounded by nice old people that will probably love some free eggs anyway.

7. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Just keep in mind with lattice that critters can still get in it coop/ yard. I lost my favorite hen to a weasel of all things. She was literally half gone n her head was missing. It was awful so I put wire mesh over the windows in the coop. I now have probably the most secure coop on the east coast lol.

8. Justin P

Jan 26, 2013
    Southeast Virginia
    I should have clarified, I will put the lattice over my hardware screening, That is a sad story btw.

9. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    It certainly was a hard lesson but it won't happen n best of luck to you! :)

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Justin, welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by