I'm new to chicken raising! Roster not eating after being attacked

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by herrchickens, Jan 5, 2017.

1. herrchickens

herrchickens New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Hillsboro, OR
    I"m new and still learning so any help is appreciated! My baby rooster (Beeker) was attacked by another young dominant rooster and now he won't eat anymore. He won't even eat his favorite treat, bread. It's as if he's traumatized! I removed the dominant rooster to another area, but he's still so scared around the other chickens especially if they show their dominance to him. Any thoughts and tips on how to help him out of this funk. I really miss the old Beeker! Thank you in advanced!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, herrchicken, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our flock. Sorry about the traumatic experience your young fellow had. If it was me I'd isolate him completely for a couple days so he can get his confidence back. Then try re-introducing. Just my two cents...others may have additional thoughts. Also, if you want to chat with fellow OR chicken folks, find your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

3. herrchickens

herrchickens New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Hillsboro, OR
    Thank you! That's probably what I have to do. Most importantly, I need him to eat.

4. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear Beeker had a traumatic incident. He needs to stay hydrated at least so try some electrolytes in his water and maybe make up a mash of scrambled egg to keep his strength up.

Hope he regains his confidence soon.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under herrchickens [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree with resoxs and N F C in that I would isolate him with his own food and water source, monitoring him closely to ensure he is eating and drinking. Hopefully he will regain his confidence soon and please let us know how he goes?

If he does not start eating and you feel you need to step in with some tube feeding this is a link to an excellent thread started by one of BYC's resident expert tube feeders, Kathy:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Give Beeker a hug from me!

1 person likes this.
  6. herrchickens

herrchickens New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Hillsboro, OR
    Thank you everyone for you wonderful advice! I'll separate him and will work with him to rebuild his confidence. He really is a sweet roo! Out of all his brothers, he's the smallest, the runt. He started following me around at 2 months and haven't left my side since. It's hard to not fall in love with him. I'll keep everyone posted!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Poor Baby, maybe you can tempt him with scrambled eggs, warm oatmeal, or even watermelon to get some fluid in him if he refuses to drink. I don't recommend tube feeding unless he is starving because the procedure itself could be traumatic to him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by