Im new to chickens and dont know how to help my sick hen! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cfarkas, Dec 6, 2012.

1. cfarkas

cfarkas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    I have an approximately 9 month old salmon favorelle hen. A week ago I started to notice that her feathers (wings and tail) were drooping and she wasnt moving very much. She could walk around but she was very slow. She even let me pick her up which she has never done before. I immediatley quarantined her and she has been separated from the other 5 hens for the past week. She is very alert and normal looking. She makes a little noise when I bother her too much, she eats, and she drinks. However, I do have to pull the dishes to her so she can eat and drink laying down because she cannot walk. She will try to walk (if I make her) and uses her wings to help her but she just falls over. She CAN move her legs and push against my hands with them but she cant stand up. When she is laying down she keeps them tucked under her body. I have checked for injuries, external parasites, impacted eggs, runny eyes/ears, breathing issues and havent seen/felt/heard anything unusual. She has been going to the bathroom much less than normal. She has had one batch of VERY watery almost clear feces with a bit of green in it a few days ago. I did notice some shavings in that batch. Other than that her feces has been dark brown with a little white and is pasty (maybe once per day). None of the other chickens show any sympotoms of illness at this point. Any ideas on what this could be?

Just for the heck of it I started giving he an antibiotic...just in case. She is still seems alert and strong...except she cant keep her balance. Again she is going to the bathroom maybe once a day...very pasty/gritty and dark brown.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas?

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I had a similar situation a while back with a 2 1/2 year old hen. I didn't notice anything until the day she could not walk, and when I picked her up, she was very lightweight. She was also molting. Someone suggested it could be a vitamin B deficiency, so I started sprinkling crushed vitamin B tablets on her food each day.

I gave her lots of high protein food, scrambled eggs, buttermilk. Her only improvement after 10 days, was to stand briefly without her wings on the ground, but she wasn't gaining an ability to walk. We ended out culling her. Sad, since she had a good appetite and was alert, but we can't keep a chicken in the house all winter, and she was getting older.

I never figured out what was wrong, but in retrospect, I wonder if she was weakened by the molt and by worms. I had just wormed my entire flock with Valbazen, treating again after 10 days in late July. This was November, and it never dawned on me that they could get worms so quickly, but just a couple of weeks ago I found a little pile of round worms on the poop board. We will start another round of worming this weekend.

Do you think she could have Marek's? I've never seen it before, but people describe a lack of balance.
    Good luck with your hen! I hope she improves.

3. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    It could be many things

You did right by your flock by separating her.

Put ACV with the mother in her water. 1 tbs per gallon
    Feed her yogurt and a few pieces of meat or liver. It does not have to be cook and probably better if it was not.
    see how she does in a day

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I read your post and suspected your faverolle was eggbound, and still believe she might be. However, watery clear feces with abit of green could possibly be a sign of worms. For an eggbound hen, I recommend that you soak her in a container of warm water up to her sides. Then gently massage underside front to rear for about 20 minutes while she's soaking. The warm water will relax and expand her innards, massaging will help move the egg along. Hopefully she'll lay the egg, if that is what it is.
    For worming, as Buckabucka stated, valbazen cattle/sheep wormer, 1/2cc administered orally then repeated again in 10 days will take care of worms.

5. cfarkas

cfarkas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Thanks for your responses! Well its been well over a week now. She is still the same. She seems so normal except not standing/walking! She eats, drinks, kicks, talks, flaps her wings, her comb is bright as usual etc. She just cannot coordinate herself to stand. I checked her for an egg. I feel nothing, I massaged her, used warm water and examined her internally and also felt nothing. She doesnt go the bathroom unless I hold her straight up and down and massage her near her vent. A lot comes out! Its dark brown, runny, and pretty gritty. There is also white uric acid that comes out too. I do not see any worms. Would worms cause paralysis? I started giving her rooster booster (vitamins and electrolytes with an active culture of bacteria) yesterday but maybe I should just do the apple cider vinegar! Also someone mentioned a deficiency in vitamin B1 & 2 could cause paralysis too. I feel like it could be so many things and ofcourse Mareks has been swirling in my mind too. Its frustrating to not know what to do.

Where can I get ACV unpasteurized?

6. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    If she has worms, you won't necessarily see them. I don't know if they can cause paralysis, but they could make the hen weak and more suseptible to disease. It may be worth a shot, since nothing seems to be working.

You can get unpasturized ACV at Whole Foods or a health food store.
    Good luck!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I saw some at Walmart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by