1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm new to chickens.. breed/gender help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rmnancygirl, Dec 7, 2011.

1. rmnancygirl

rmnancygirl New Egg

Dec 7, 2011
    Hmm. Wanted some help with this but apparently can't post any pictures since I'm new. Will see if I'm allowed to after posting this...
    Yup, seemed to work- scroll down!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Welcome and keep posting til you can upload pictures.... We will be glad to help you.

3. rmnancygirl

rmnancygirl New Egg

Dec 7, 2011
    Nb: edit 11/12/11 I just thought I'd number these to be consistent with the numbering on page 3. Which will not be the same as what people have posted on pages 1 and 2. Hope that's clear!

Hi
    Just got these 6 new additions to the family yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    They had been raised in a school classroom and I forgot to find out when they hatched so I'm not really sure how old they are, I think maybe 2 or 3 months?
    Also have no idea where the eggs came from at all so would appreciate any guesses as to the breed. I presume they were from the same hen but don't really know for sure- if they are are, and are different colours, does that mean they are basically mutts of some sort?
    Our cage is really too small for them all, so the roosters have to go and possibly another couple, leaving us with 2 or 3 chickens. I think 2 are roosters: [​IMG]
    {Chicken 2 from post #21, in photo above}
    [​IMG]
    {Chicken 4 from post #21, in photo above}
    but that is just a guess based on their comb size at the moment. But then I don't know if they are old enough to tell by that? The ones I think are girls are below:
    [​IMG]
    {Chicken 6 from post #21 in photo above}
    [​IMG]
    {Chicken 1 in post # 21 in photo above}
    [​IMG]
    {Chicken 5 in post #21 in photo above}
    [​IMG]
    {Chicken 3 in post #21 in photo above}
    All help appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  4. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    hello!
    [​IMG] 10 posts are needed before you can post pictures...but I'll be happy to help once they are up.

5. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    The ones that looks the most roosterish to me is the first black one (austolope?) and the first one.....though it would be better to have a full body shot... look for saddle feathers near the tale, they are shiny, pointed and curved feathers that the roos will have on them now or within a couple more weeks. Also at this age the roosters will have very bulky feet,stand taller then the rest, and have spur buds starting to "sprout"( though some hens grow these to).

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st looks like a roo can tbe sure about the 2nd. i can see a splash hen in there

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    how old are they. age can really help determine sex

its not sackle its saddle [​IMG] those dont start to show till they are at least 6 months or older. hackles show at around 3-4 months. sickles start to come in at around 6 months heres a pic of those feathers. (hes around 8-9 months old here)
    [​IMG]

spur buds are NOT and indacator of a roo as all chicks have them and some hens develop spurs as well.

8. rmnancygirl

rmnancygirl New Egg

Dec 7, 2011
    Quote:Uhh.. I'm really new to this and google isn't being very helpful... what's a splash hen? :) Thanks heaps!

9. Imma Okie

Imma Okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you have different colored eggs, you have more than one layer. I was sure that I read that a hen will lay one color but as she ages the shade changes, not the color. Also if you just got them yesterday, it's unlikely that one hen laid multiple eggs. Again, someone correct me if I am wrong.
    What color eggs did you find?

E.T.S. WELCOME, from one newbie to another.

edited again....or did I read that wrong totally? LOL [​IMG]

10. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have no idea what breeds they are, I just wanted to congratulate you and welcome you to BYC! Have fun with your chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by