1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm new to CHICKENS--Hi everyone.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by momgoose, Jan 2, 2012.

1. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    A large white (Leghorn?) rooster showed up on my daughters porch in Vail about a week ago. He seems healthy, probably a little skinny for winter tho. His problem is frostbite on his comb and wattles. How a rooster can get frostbite in southern Arizona is beyond my grasp--unless he had absolutely no shelter at all!
    I put vaseline on them to try to prevent further frostbite, he's eating and now crowing.
    Is there anything else I need to do or watch for other than the obvious...infection, necrosis etc. He's gentle but of course trys to avoid getting caught!
    Also, Does anyone know where I can find information on keeping chickens and zoning/noise laws related to that in Pima County?
    ALSO, Does anyone know of any place that has a rooster rescue or will take unwanted roosters? He's a real nice guy but I don't think his 6:30 crowing is going to go over well with neighbors even though we are semi-rural.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] How good of you to help a stray. You can google rooster/chicken rescue and see what is available.

3. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    Thanks TOC!

5. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC MoM.

Another good place to look is in the resources found here. Have you tried the Learning Center yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by