im new to chickens, what breeds/genders are my birds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cowgirlup07, Oct 22, 2014.

1. cowgirlup07

cowgirlup07 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    The whites have some odd colors tinting their feathers in places with flat/wide combs. Someone gave them to me and he's not sure what they are either. The 2 multi colored ones are beautiful birds, my personal favorite is my big red rooster (my son named him bird bird) all the birds in the group photos are around the same size but are young. Around half the size of Bird Bird who's approx 6 1/2 months old. The others are around 4 months.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know this one is a rooster but what breed?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DesertChickens1

DesertChickens1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    Marana, Arizona
    It looks like all the birds in your pictures are roosters! The last bird pictured looks like a RIR rooster and the others look like mutts.
    Also welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    All of your birds are roosters. The three in the top pictures are all mixed breeds. The one in the two bottom pictures is a hatchery grade Rhode Island Red.

4. cowgirlup07

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    Thank you both. I don't mind them all being roosters, I've just always loved chickens and since they all get along, I'll let them continue to keep my place bug free, they run loose but have a coop they go to at night. They guy who gave me the mixed birds has 3 more for me. He said this set would make good butcher birds. I should have them tomorrow. I have 6 total right now, I'm about 75% sure 1 is a hen by looking at its feathers (not pictured) the feathers are rounded and shorter than the other birds and this one is more plump.

5. cowgirlup07

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    What does your term hatchery grade mean?

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Hatchery grade means that it fits the basic criteria for a breed, but it has flaws that fall short of the AP standard for that breed, and as a result would either have points deducted or else be disqualified in a poultry show. Most breeds that are sold by hatcheries fall into this category. They are good birds, just not show standard.

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    You will probably find that adding that one girl will totally change them all getting along. If you don't care about eggs I would stick to all boys unless you have a way to keep them away from the hen in a separate boys quarters one the hormones kick in.

One hen to 5 roosters is also going to end up with one injured hen. The ratio for them to all keep getting on in One area is one rooster per 10 hens.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  8. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on that 10 hen to 1 rooster ratio. Too many roosters will be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their backs and necks, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by