I'm new to chikkens, but I got 4 and here they are!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momgoose, Feb 3, 2012.

1. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    My granddaughter named them (From top left ->right) Rose, Pansy, Daisy and Iris. Hope they're all Girls!!!!

[​IMG]

What do you guys do if you end up with Roosters???

2. FluffYou

FluffYou New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    Exactly what I want to know before getting chicks, LOL! My neighbor is a grumpy old man who got angry with me for knocking on his door to tell him that someone broke into a house on our street so if I stepped out of line one inch in our no-roosters-allowed city, my chicken dreams would be over!

Your (hopefully) girls are gorgeous, btw! [​IMG]

3. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    What a bunch of cuties....what breed are they? I just recently got my first chicks and I have 8 of them. Originally I had 10 but lost 2. Good luck with your chicks, they are very cute

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

So cute! [​IMG]

5. seclusionfarms

seclusionfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Lake City, Fl
    So far we have just kept them but at the last show I went to people were selling them, its seems like a problem everyone has because chicks are 50/50 :) Good Luck and [​IMG]

6. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Congratulation and good luck

7. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Frist off...[​IMG] from Ohio!!

Second...if any are roosters, put an add on Craigslist "roosters, free to good home"

Welcome to the world of chickens, I'm sure you'll love it!

8. momgoose

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    Supposedly they are Leghorn cross. Cross with what?? Anybody's guess! I bought them at the feedstore down the road. The whole batch of about 30 chicks looked like these. They get bigger and get more real feathers popping out every day. They love going outside every day into a big dog crate that I've 'chick wired'. They stay out most of the day while it's warm. I bring them in just before sunset or if it gets cold. They stay the night in a big plastic bin with a heat lamp in one of our guest rooms. I put some cloth over about 1/2 of the bin to shade their water and give them a place to get out of the heat. I have to check up on how long they need this heat. The temps outside during the day are 70 to 76 lately and they have direct sunlight in most of the cage. I also put a cardboard box with a little 'door' cut in it in the cage that warms up nicely in the sun and they spend some time in there occasionally during the day. I am fixing half of my big dog kennel (15' L x12' W x6' H) with chicken wire and will ultimately build them a coop, but they're growing so fast they'll be too big for this dog crate in another week or so I fear! When they get even bigger, I'll expand their are to include the whole dog kennel (my dogs have never liked the durned kennel and I have a huge yard anyway).

9. momgoose

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    OH! Never thought of Craigslist! Thanks for that and for the welcome!

10. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I got some last year just like those. I was told they are California whites. That is a cross between a white leghorn and a grey leghorn.
    Mine lay very well and are very friendly.
    Congrats!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by