1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Im new to incubating is my egg still ok

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loupan, Nov 25, 2011.

1. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    [​IMG] Hi i put a post on yesterday becouse i was worried as i havent seen my chick move in the last 48 hrs its at 15 days now ,i had another look just earlier and i could see veining and a big black mass at the top of the fat part of the egg also still a very good size air sac but i still couldnt see any movement ,i am new to this candling thing so not experienced at all ,is this normal does it sound like the baby will be ok please help as im worrying myself silly i have only 1 chick out of 6 eggs so i desperatly want it to survive ,also is it common to have a poor hatch the very first time you start ?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    What kind of incubator are you using? How has your humidity and temp been? You may not see any movement. They may be resting. Don't worry yet. Keep the faith. You still have a few days to go. My first hatch was about 60% but with practice now my hatches are now around 90% to 100%. I have had some 100% hatches which was a surprise to me.

3. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Im using a homemade incubator the temp has been around 99-101 and humidty around 55 do i now increase the humidity for the last 5 days

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Increase the humidity when you set your eggs for hatching and stop turning on day 18. I don't know what your incubator is like and what kind of room you have. Here are some suggestions, wet some paper towels with warm water and put them or a wet sponge in. I use paper towels in the bottom and I have a hole I put a straw in to moisten the paper towels with warm water. The temp and humidity will fluctuate but that is ok. They will settle out. I also use a half pint mason jar with a sponge in it which acts like a wick, it helps to bring the humidity up too.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  5. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    thanks so much i have a wee bowl with a sponge in and warm water, humidity is around 56 now has been a warm day here today so that may have affected humidity a bit good idea about the straw though i was wondering how i would top up water when in lock down [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by