I'm new to it all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by moomysooer, Jun 5, 2016.

1. moomysooer

moomysooer New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Clarksville
    Don't have coop or chickens yet! So, any advice is welcome. I'm in southern Indiana. Going to have backyard birds for eggs. Excited?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] You've come to the right place to get started! Here is some places and things on site I recommend you check out:

Just about everything chicken related: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

More about the different breeds: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds (This a dangerous section [​IMG])

Coops and housing plans (cheaper to build one yourself): https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Enjoy the site and keep us posted on your venture!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    sumi has given you some great sites to check out!

[​IMG]

WELCOME!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from Sumi, so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hello and Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

7. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC! This is the perfect place to learn everything about chickens! Good luck!

8. moomysooer

moomysooer New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Clarksville
    Time flies! Chic's heading on 9 weeks! When do I start preparing nesting boxes and adding oyster shell to feed?
    Thanks.

9. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

No need yet for oyster shell or nest boxes. I'd say you have at least 9 more weeks before those needs arise, depending on what breeds of chicks you own.
    For example, my white leghorn pullets started laying over a month ago, and they are 21 weeks old. They are NOTORIOUS for early laying but not all breeds do that.
    My last year's Barred Rock pullets did not lay until 24-26 weeks old! The rest fall somewhere in the middle.

Per oyster shell, it's better to keep it in a separate dish as free-choice rather than mixing it with feed.
    All your babies need is chick starter for now, plus some treats like fruits and veggies, mealworms, etc.....they love to forage at that age as well. Yummy buggies and grass to eat!
    Another option is to put them on a 16.5% finisher/grower until you see the first egg.
    Most people just keep them on starter until that time, then switch to layer feed OR all-flock, with free choice oyster shell.

Keep the next boxes off-limits for a while. If you allow them in now, they will sleep and poop in them. Bad habit for them to get into.
    Good luck and enjoy your chicks, they grow so fast, don't they?[​IMG]
    CluckerCottage

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC. It's great to have you!

I'd recommend keeping the nest boxes closed off until they are six months old or thereabouts, or have begun to lay. Otherwise they might develop the bad habit of sleeping in the nest boxes. Oyster shell isn't really necessary until they begin to lay, however they won't eat it unless they begin to feel they require it so it won't hurt them to scatter it out once they look like they're about to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by