im new to keeping chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jason123, Apr 2, 2015.

1. jason123

jason123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2015
    I just bought 2 delawares and the feed store said they were two weeks i want them for pets did i make a wise choose are they really hard to take care of one poop on me almost how do i tame the to make them good pets also they love crickets

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us and congrats on your new chicks.

Make sure you add baby chick grit to their food, they will need it with eating anything else, especially crickets. I would recommend not overdoing the crickets or other treats, they need complete nutrition offered in the grower feed.

Sounds like you need to read the articles in the Learning Center to help you with your new babies - Raising baby chicks is a place to start.

They will tame with time, be patient.

I have no experience with Delawares, but almost got some.

Good luck with your new additions, feel free to ask specific questions. Baby chicks forums can be very helpful.

3. jason123

Apr 2, 2015
    Thanks

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi, and welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Delawares have a reputation for being gentle as well as good layers, so I think that they'll make very good pets for you. You can read more breed reviews on Delawares here: Delaware

Chickens in general are not particularly hard to take care of. They are usually simpler to take care of than a dog or a cat, and much simpler than a horse, for example. Like all animals, they need feed, water, and shelter, along with occasional medical care. If you provide all of those things correctly, they will be relatively problem-free. I suggest taking a look at the Learning Center for lots of good information on caring for chickens:Learning Center Articles

To tame chicks, be sure to handle them daily. This will teach them to not be afraid of you. Just being near them and talking to them helps, too. By nature, chickens are prey animals. They must learn to not fear you as a predator. Giving treats tames them, too. At first you may need to scatter treats on the ground, but eventually they'll become bold enough to take feed from your hands.

I've never fed my chickens crickets, but they love catching them in the summer outside.[​IMG]

Good luck with your chicks!

5. jason123

Apr 2, 2015
    Thanks

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chicks do poop on everything and anywhere but, I don't believe it is intended - chicken poo just happens. Welcome to BYC

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by