1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Im new to raising chickens i need help.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SKYLINE, Dec 13, 2011.

1. SKYLINE

SKYLINE New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    hey everyone i have a few qeustions about raising chickens. ive always wanted to do it but i know little to nothing about it. there's a guy around the corner he raises chickens, pigeons,quail, an a few other things. an he sells quails an chicks an stuff, an i pass his home everyday an see the for sale signs. an i wanna be prepared to buy an care for the chicks before i just knock on his door. lol but yea i would like to have four chicks 3 hens an a rooster. well maybe not a rooster. im not ok with being woke up early. lmao but yea i wanna know the pros an cons of raising them, the cost of rasing them an just a few facts about them if u dont mind. my family used to raise them but my mom said she dont want chickens running around her backyard so she told them not to give me any info lol i think she forgot who she was messing with that time lol in a few days shes gonna she chicks an theres nothing she can do about it hahaha j/k but yea she'll come around an thanks in advance

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. snipercp

snipercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Nottingham
    you will need a brooder for chicks and its also a good idea to build a coop first because they do grow up sooo fast and you need a coop for them when they get too big also you will never have to buy eggs again ( well hopefully [​IMG] )

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There are great resources here at BackYardChickens. There is a section, right up on top of this page, called "Learning Center". Lots of good reading there. I'd suggest some time be spent reading through the various tutorials and materials provided. And, btw, welcome!!!

4. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Fred's Hens :

There are great resources here at BackYardChickens. There is a section, right up on top of this page, called "Learning Center". Lots of good reading there. I'd suggest some time be spent reading through the various tutorials and materials provided. And, btw, welcome!!!

x2...

"Learning Center" helped me tons!!! Also most areas have threads on the very top that have information about that topic....also, search away. Some times is faster to search for an answer than to wait for some one to reply to your post (sorry I am one with very little patience! lol)

best of luck!!! oh and Welcome!​

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Your best bet is to research, research and research. Great info on here. Make sure you have a coop and everything you need before getting chicks. Even having a first aid kit started. You will find all the info you need right here just do alittle chickein around.You'll be amazed at how much easier raising chickens is when you are prepared. Enjoy, good luck and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by