im new to raising ducks, i have a question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BellLisamo, Feb 10, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Forgive me here... but im new to raising ducks. I have 2 full grown ducks who i had since babies, but they were my hubbys i wasnt really involved. Now i bought two little ones, here they are....

[​IMG]

no idea what breed they are or what to do with them besides feed and water them and give them room to play outside during the day in a pen. I saw pics of the babys in the bath and was wondering if i could do this?!??!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Youre doing the right things. [​IMG] I would recommend a pan or tub big enough for them to get in and swim. They love that. [​IMG]

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i dont know how old these guys are, and i was reading that they shouldnt be able to get into water yet? no idea. but i dont care what they said

ill go with ones who raise ducks, like you all here!
    i cant wait to watch them swim.

4. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    They look like they are just about 4 to 6 weeks old and i believe the yellow one is probably Pekin and the black one is cayuga. Those are just my guesses. the black one looks just like my babies. I raise cayugas.

5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:thank you!!!!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would think they are more like 2-3 weeks old. I don't see any feathers, and my pekins are 7 weeks old and are fully feathered. My cayugas are 4 weeks old, and have feathers around their necks and on their tails and wings.

I agree, they do look like 1 pekin and 1 cayuga.

Do you have them outside? They probably still need a little bit of heat. You can let them swim for a little while, supervised, but make sure they get dried off very well when they get out.

Have fun, I just love my ducks!

7. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    Also. you can put a thing for them to get in to water just make sure they have a light to get dry and warm under. they do not have the oil on there feathers cause they do not have feathers yet. Do you have them in a brooder and where are you located at. I would definately be careful with the water to make sure they do not get too cold. They are a lot of fun at this age. I just hatched 6 Welsh harlequins and 2 cayugas and more are hatching. I have one cayuga that is about the same size as yours and he is outside with no lamp but we are in Florida and the days are near 80 If we get much cooler it will be back in a brooder with a light. Good luck with them they are a joy to have around.

[​IMG]

8. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    You can use a water pan with rocks at one end so they can rest if they get tired. They really do not need a swim a lot at that age.

9. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:im in Arizona, and i keep them in the house all night. The house stays about 80 degrees during the night. Outside the temperature has been about 60-75 degrees. They cheep and cheep until i take them outside if i dont take them out in the morning. They go out at about 730am and come in at 4pm. They don't huddle in a corner or anything, they run around and eat and drink and have fun. I keep them with my chicks and they love playing with them. I watched them all day one day and they didnt seem cold. Will they act cold if they are?

10. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    If they get cold you can tell it. They will huddle, and or try to find a warm spot and not be very active.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by