1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm new to the chicken world! Love it!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mey0018, Mar 21, 2016.

1. mey0018

mey0018 New Egg

Feb 7, 2016
    I just got my first group of chicks middle of February. 6 Golden sex-links that have become my Mother in-laws chicks that I will be moving to my coop soon enough. I wanted to get something a little more colorful and playful and ended up with 6 Welsummers. I love them! Brave, friendly little gals. I live in Texas, have a small 10 acre farm, cows, will be getting dairy goats, and I am a dressage rider who can do the cowboy ranch work. My husband is a welder and helps out when he is home. My goal is to create a nearly self sufficient homestead. So far the chickens are my absolute favorite! I'm hoping to free range, but put up at night, but am nervous about getting a rooster. I want to know everything I can about these quirky birds that are already making a huge spot for themselves in my heart.

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Welcome to BYC, the learning center is great for people just starting out, I would get a roo not all are mean I had a mean one that I gave to the neighbor and the neighbor had some good stew, my other roo am ameraucana was a jerk but I gave him a chance because he was gentle with the girls, he still puffs up at me but he just does it to show off because now he knows better than to come after me, it is all in the luck of the draw, you can always go through a couple before you find a nice one but it is well worth it if you are free ranging because a roo can protect your girls.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. mey0018

mey0018 New Egg

Feb 7, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Figured I'd share a picture of my gals

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Your chicks look very cute!

In addition to the learning centre, you may wish to consider joining your state thread (just type the name of your state in the search box). Theres also lots of threads on all sorts of topics - from goats to baking so make yourself at home and enjoy being a member.

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Unless you need a rooster for' fertile' eggs to hatch, the girls will be very happy without one. They will continue to lay just as many eggs albeit non-fertile. Roosters may sound the alarm regarding predators, but, they most likely will be the first one's eaten., so no protection for the flock at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by