I'm new to the chicken world

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by goat114, Apr 13, 2017.

1. goat114

goat114 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2017
    [​IMG]I have a few hens and one rooster

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, goat114! [​IMG] Glad you could join the fun! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

3. goat114

Apr 13, 2017
    Question can you put different eggs in a incubator and hatch them out without taking the egg turned out I have eggs that are due to hatch on the 29th and then I'm going to put more eggs in on Saturday afternoon and they should hatch on May 5th my birthday

4. BYCforlife

What do you mean by "different eggs"? If you mean putting eggs in at staggered times, don't do that, because you can't do the lock down stage and the chicks will have a harder time pipping.

Put eggs in at completely different times, e.g. let all the eggs hatch, day 21 or so, then put more in after cleaning the incubator. Don't put more eggs in on days 1-23.

The reason you take the egg turner out on day 18 is so chicks that hatch are not squished in between the turner racks.

Also, if you are checking humidity, bring it up to 65-70% on day 18. This will soften the egg shells a little and help the chicks get out of the shell.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  5. goat114

Apr 13, 2017
    Ok thank you

6. BYCforlife

[​IMG]

7. goat114

Apr 13, 2017
    I have 6 eggs in the incubator right now and now have to figure out where I'm going to get another incubator on short notice sigh I'll look at Walmart.com

8. BYCforlife

Why do you need another? Do you have eggs waiting? Also, if there is one in your area, I think Peavey Mart sells incubators.

9. goat114

Apr 13, 2017
    I have eggs waiting to go into a incubator but don't have another incubator

10. BYCforlife

I see. Sorry to disappoint you, but that's just the way it works. Where did you get your other incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by