I'm new to this.... but my chickens have only laid 3 eggs in their 10 month lives

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brianyc, Feb 9, 2012.

1. brianyc

brianyc New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    Hey friends,
    I've been reading through the forums and it seems that most people who have chickens who aren't laying just have to wait it out. I've waited 10 months for my chickens to produce eggs. At one point they (or one of them) laid 3 eggs, but then they stopped. I've put in a light for the winter and done as many things as I have read to help them produce eggs.

Any other ideas????

Thanks.

2. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    [​IMG] It will help to know what kind of chickens you have. Some lay a lot later then others breeds.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What breeds are they and tell us more about what you feed, how they are housed, free range, etc. Also, are you sure they're all hens?

4. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    [​IMG] yes, breeds would be helpful to know. It is winter time, sometimes added light doesn't always help. Mine have extra light & this yr only 2 of 8 are laying eggs & only 1 of those 2 have been laying all winter! (the other just started up last week)

5. brianyc

brianyc New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    Well, I don't know what breed they are. I got them from a family friend, who gave them to me a week old. The eggs that they laid were blue-ish. One is off-white and the other is reddish. I'm guessing one is Ameraucana,

I'm currently feeding them Purina Layena crumbles, which they eat a lot of. They are pooping a lot too. I let them out of the coop every other day or so. They aren't crowing, so I thought they would be hens.....

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

They are probably EE's who are known for laying late. I would think it will be this spring some time. It may take till March or April. If they are roosters, it will take longer.

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Ha Ha! Very funny.

Brianyc, get you a few good laying hens in you want eggs. Check craigslist for some inexpensive hens. Breeds like Rhode Island Red, Australorp, Plymouth Rock (most common type is often called Barred Rock), or maybe some of Sex-Links, which are crosses. Try to get hens less than two years old.

8. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

[​IMG]

9. brianyc

brianyc New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    Uh, thanks for laughing.

10. brianyc

brianyc New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    well, does anyone have thoughts about why they laid 3 eggs, then stopped for months????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by