Im new to this "Chick Life"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Megaears, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Megaears

Megaears Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Thank goodness my friend turned me on to BYC! We have had our chicks since April 6 and 12th. The first two we got were two Buff Orpingtons and then the following week we got to Black Australorps. I can't stop talking chickens to my friends and I'm sure they are sick of it. Lol. One friend says "who knew the pet you would like would be chickens!" If that aint an understatment I don't know what is!! I love my pretty girls. The Orpingtons are actually both my daughters but I take care of them mostly. They named them "Biscuit" and "Crispy" and the two Australorps are "celia" and "gertie" (short for Gertrude). If my blackberry will ever load up my pics ill put them up.
    We haven't started the coop yet but hopefully by this weekend. They are currently in a dog cage and doing quite well in there but I look forward to having them out of my laundry room! Lol! If anyone has any advice send it my way.

Megan

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Love the names!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    I'm glad you've been enjoying your chicks so far! I love the name Gertie, I used to have a goldfish named Gertie. :p Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site! :D

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. Megaears

Mar 27, 2012
    Thank yall SO much for the warm welcome!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

8. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

9. Megaears

Mar 27, 2012
    Quick question.. What is the temp that's safe to put the chicks outside? I'm stepping them down 5 degrees each week but is there a certain temp I'm working towards or just waiting till they are all feathered out.

10. chem

chem Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Space Coast, Florida
    hello and welcome!

im a new chicken mom myself and i LOVE IT! my babies are my children as far as im concerned so i understand where you are coming from :D

well, as far as your question... im not a pro BUT i have integrated my chicks to the outdoor coop/run. they are 9 weeks old now and from my experience it all depends on how featured they are and what the temp is like during the day/night where you live. i live in FL near the space coast so its very warm here. even at night its in the mid 60's so integrating mine didnt take long. i think they were around 5 weeks old when i finally felt safe enough to let them stay outside over night. they were feathered enough to protect from the cold. you should really wait at least 5 weeks in my opinion. but you can take them out in to the yard for a little play time during the day if you want. just for a little while :)
    just make sure you keep them in a small playpen and supervise them at all times from predators. i built my kids a big coop/run to live in. you can see pics of it if you want under my albums if you need an idea on something. i have 6 all together. i can go into more detail about how i integrated them to the outdoors if you would like. it took some patience and time but they adjusted. just let me know and i can message you with my method that i used.

good luck and i hope to see you around! this is a great place for info/advice or even just to share the fun chicken times with!

allison

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by