Im new to this! I bought sex linked "pullets" but I think all are males!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by srr013, Mar 8, 2013.

1. srr013

srr013 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    I bought 3 red and 3 black sex link pullets from TSC hoping to have laying hens. After doing some research online and observing their behavior, I think all of them are male :( . I know the black sex link with the white spot on the head means male (for sure 2 of my 3 black sex link). I got them Feb. 15th and they all are acting high strung. Please help me so I can know if my fear of having all 6 males is true![​IMG]

2. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    i dont know about the blacks, but when you got the red sex links where they red or yellow collored? the red is female and yellow is male. that where sex link comes from. you can tell the sex of the chicks by the color. i have 4 red sex links that are almost a year old.
    hope this helps

3. srr013

srr013 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks for your help! Honestly, Im not sure if they were red or yellow as chicks. I believe they were more yellow with some red/brown on them. There were so many people wanting chicks the day I went that I just told the guy to grab 3 red and 3 black. I didnt even look in the troughs to see if there was a comparison. The chicks sign did say sex linked pullets and that was what I asked for. I was hoping maybe their sex could be determined by the way they are feathering off-white with brown in the chest/neck area. I do have a black sex link that is and was very distinguishable from the other two. Im not even sure if it is the same breed. It has been pretty light in color compared to the other two black chicks with the white spots on their heads.

4. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    if it was marked as sex link pullets. at most you will end up with one rooster out of the 6. but id say they are all pullets. the sex links pullets are almost always pullets. sence they are easily sexed.
    hope this helps

5. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    It's hard to tell what sex the red ones are by the pictures. The two black ones definitely look male. Black sexlink roosters are barred and they both look like they're going to end up barred.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  6. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

The black and white bird on the left does not look like a sex link, but whatever it is it looks male. Your two (barred) black sex links are males with combs like that at 3-4 weeks. I still have hope for the three red sex links, they have a good amount of red coloring on them that could point to being female.

Close up shots of the combs would help, as well as a re-post of photos when they're 5 weeks.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You have three red sexlink pullets. It looks like you also have two cuckoo Marans pullets. Male black sexlinks would be barred. Those two look to have female cuckoo markings. Marans can have some big combs so unless they grow dark and fast, I wouldn't worry. I'm not sure what the light one is yet but it's not a sexlink.

8. srr013

srr013 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is the "black sex link" that doesnt look like the others. Im curious to know what it may be (breed/gender)? Thank you all for your help!

9. srr013

srr013 New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Oh and this is a pic of what all of my reds look like. Im hoping they are actually pullets![​IMG]
    Thanks again for all of the feedback!

10. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    The black and white doesn't look to be a sexlink and looks to be male; the red looks to be a pullet. If all of the reds have a similar look with small combs then I'm going to venture a guess that you have 3 and 3 (3 pullets, 3 roosters).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by