Im new to this...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CarolinaKid 8, Jan 21, 2011.

1. CarolinaKid 8

CarolinaKid 8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Darlington,sc
    [​IMG] Hi .I just took a look at the 4 eggs in the bator with a light and I cant tell if any veins are growing.Can anyone tell me more to look for? 3 eggs do have a dark shadow about halfway the egg. And another questions:2--Should i be able to see a air sac or something by this time,it is day 8 ? thanks...[​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Sounds like you need a brighter light. The air sack is there all the time but just gets bigger over time.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I just culled 10 of my 58 today - on day 8.

The dark shadow is the chick! so you are in luck.

I have not seen veins in any of my eggs - & no air cell - or at least one that moves around quite a bit.

So - my advice would be to leave them all alone for 5 more days at least. I culled 3 today that were good because I didn't see the 'spot' or shadow in the egg, but it was in there hiding.

4. CarolinaKid 8

CarolinaKid 8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Darlington,sc
    Thanks for the Good News [​IMG] ,and what kind of light is best for candling?I only have a spot light with a toilet paper roll duck taped to the front for now,,lol The brown eggs are hard to see thru Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by