Im new with questions

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Bryan C, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Bryan C

Bryan C Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Hi BYC members. I'm new to BYC and I'm a teenager with a knack for animals. I wanted to know how big should a loft be for one pair of pigeons im thinking maybe some tumblers or rollers not entirely sure yet. I don't have a great budget and I just want to raise the pigeons for fun and to observe them because im trying to become a veterinarian. I just don't know how big i should start one pair or two pairs. Any advice would be gladly appreciated. Thank you for your time

2. Courtney R

Courtney R Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    [​IMG]& im only 12, but im bout to b 13, i wanna b a vet too :) But i thnk that u shood get two pairs of pigeons. The place should be big enough to walk inside, probably, and the base shood probably b 4ft by 5ft... but idk much bout that stuff... But Hope it turns out good[​IMG]

3. franciscreek

franciscreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Northern California
    Bryan,

If you are going to start with rollers or tumblers you could start with a smaller fly box. Something 4x4x2 or 3. Use a wire bottom and put it on legs. You can find several good examples on the web.

4. Bryan C

Nov 28, 2012
    Thank you for the advice. Are there any pigeons that are best for beginners?

5. Courtney R

Courtney R Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    im lost on that one... idk much bout that, but it depends on what u r raising then for

6. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I started with three pairs of pigeons and by far I love my American Fantails the most - So much personality...but the "English Trumpeter Pigeons" seem like a really good start choice.

7. Bryan C

Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks for the help im still deciding what breed to pick but i dont know how many to start with if i only have a 4 x 3 x 4 cage for now I don't have a big budget for the materials

8. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    good old homing pigeons are great starter birds. mine are great flyers and parents

9. ChickenMad11

ChickenMad11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2012
    Great Britain
    Sorry can't help you, I've got chickens not pigeons!

10. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Check Craigslist - people sell cages and give away materials all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by