Im new...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tinyflock, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tinyflock

tinyflock New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    Not only to the web site but also to the hobby of raiseing chickens.
    Im planning on starting out with 30 or so day old chicks and hope to end up with most of them, Im looking forward to eating the eggs they produce.
    Basicly im looking for any tips you guys may have for me, I have not built my coop yet, cant figure out the "right design" for me. Do each chicken need a nesting box? Do I need a rooster for the hens to produce the eggs? I just dont know much on the subject but am learning, my grandfather raised turkys phesants peacocks and chickens I rember this from when I was young, they were intresting to watch, and breakfast was always good.

2. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Hens will provide eggs without a rooster. With a rooster, they will be fertilized eggs.

Good luck finding the right coop! I have waited around to find coops on craigslist, that I can afford!

Yes, chickens need a nesting box (Small dark place to lay eggs)

Yes, CHICKS need a brooding coop and there are hundred off pictures here on this site.

TAKE YOUR TIME...look around this site and you will be amazed at all the information available and pictures help too!

GOOD LUCK!

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] first you do not need a rooster for the hens to lay eggs. They lay eggs without a rooster you need a rooster to hatch your own eggs. There are some great coop designs on here. You can use the search button at the top to find most things you need answers to you. On the nest box its 1 box for every 4 hens but they usually like to lay in the one that others are using it depends on your coop and needs.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

you came to the right place to ask chicken questions

good luck with the chicks,
    Imp

5. sadies0111

sadies0111 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Welcome, there is so much info on this site. You don't need a nesting box for each chicken, they don't mind sharing...I think I remember you can have a nesting box for every 4 hens. You do not need a rooster for eggs, but they can come in handy as far as protecting their girls from predators. Usually a good ratio is maybe 10-12 hens per rooster. If you have too many roosters, they will fight eachother, and be too rough on the girls. For the coop, it is a general rule of thumb to plan for 4 sq feet per chicken in the coop. and I think 18 inches of roost space per bird. You can research different breeds of chickens to find out which are better for your climate, and if you are looking for just egg layers, or chickens that are good layers and also good for meat. There is lots to learn, and this site is great. Good luck!

6. jenanneray

jenanneray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    [​IMG] from NC!

I'm relatively new here also, but there's plenty of helpful information and people here!
    As for the nest boxes, I read here somewhere that it's one box per 4 hens. Of course I have 6 boxes, and they all want to share the same one, I still haven't figured that one out. You don't need a rooster to produce eggs.

Welcome, again! You'll love it here and raising chickens! [​IMG][​IMG]

7. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] and welcome to the chicken world! It's more fun that you can imagine!

First of all, check out some of the coop designs people have on here. My coop is built from most materials we had around here, although we did have to buy some plywood and things like that. It's not beautiful and is actually a little wonky, but it serves its purpose well and the chickens seem to be happy with it. A lot of people repurpose things like old playhouses and sheds as well, but for 30 chickens you'll need a decent size coop (I have 36 standard breeds, so I know this from personal experience [​IMG] ).

You do not need a rooster to get eggs- hens lay eggs as a function of their bodies and it doesn't matter if you have a roo or not. Roosters are good for procreation and protection of the flock, but not absolutely necessary. Usually 1 nesting box for every 4 hens works well. They don't each have to have their own and will often share nesting boxes or have favorite ones.

I would read like crazy here on BYC if I were you and then get some good books before getting your chicks. Research will forearm you with lots of good information. I personally call Gail Damerow's Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens my "chicken Bible," but the creators of this site also have a book, Raising Chickens For Dummies. I don't think you can wrong with either, or both!

8. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I have Gail Damerow's book! The only chicken book I own. BUT...this forum has been the best at answering questions and reading through all the posts! I love BYC! [​IMG]

9. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

I'm a newbie too I have 12 chicks my brooder is a huge cardboard box and ditto what the others said. I've learned a lot here.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] from California!

I would also recommend buying Building Chicken Coops for Dummies, which you can buy in the BYC Store (and it supports the site!) so that's a great resource.

Quick overview of everybody else's replies with some of my own comments: Rooster not needed for eggs, nest boxes are for YOUR convenience so you have a single place to gather CLEAN eggs, and hens share the boxes. However, with your plan of 30 - wow, you're brave to start out with that many! - you might need six or seven nest boxes or just a couple really big "communal" nest boxes.

Brooders are easy, Rubbermaid bins are handy, but for 30 chicks, go with a plastic kiddie pool and add higher cardboard walls inside it. Then put pine shavings in it for their bedding. You will need supplemental heat for several weeks unless it's really warm where you live.

Visit the BYC Learning Center for the basics.

BYC is an absolutely wonderful resource and a great place to get to know other chicken keepin' folks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by