I'm new!! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jasonman218, Mar 2, 2015.

1. jasonman218

jasonman218 New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    Hi Everyone! I'm PJ. And by the way, I don't take care of chickens.(Although I'd love to have a farm of my own). However I raise mealworms. :), I'm new to to the whole meal worm farming business. I'm from the Philippines. Meal worm farming here is virtually unheard of. I'm in need of your help folks I just bought 25,000 meal worms 1 month ago. Around 5000 of them (maybe more)died in the process of getting back to my humble abode. ATM, I have close to 2500 pupae's. Around 700 or so already hatched into beetles. I'm still waiting all of the worms, around 15,000 of them to pupate. Here are a few problems that I encountered along the way though. Worms: -The bins have lids and I punched in a lot of holes at the top. Main problem I'm having constant condensation inside the bin. I wipe them everyday but the moisture always returns. I think it has something to do with the humidity (its very humid here in the tropics) and the bins having lids. And the water building up inside the bins are becoming a nuisance and its basically ruining my substrate. ( Kills some of the worms in the process). I just wanted to know how I can fix this.
    Pupae: Is there a better way of sorting pupae besides picking them up? I've seen on some forums that a size 8 mesh could be used to filter them . Does it work 100%? Or is there a probability that some pupae fall through the mesh.?
    Beetles: I have big concerns on my beetles. Some of them look really unhealthy. Some actually have broken or no wings. Some of them look chewed up. Did somebody else experience this? I've watched endless youtube videos and none of those videos seem to have the same beetles as I do. Maybe I'll just post a picture in this thread to show you folks. Is there a better way to transfer beetles to another bin? I haven't done the "mesh below the bin method" yet. But I heard it really works.
    And I cant really find any Wheat Bran dealers here in our area. Felow Filipino mealworm enthusiasts- I need your help!!!
    Thanks!!

2. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
  3. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
  4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home and ask all the questions you have. I have no experience on mealworms but I'm sure other members on here will help you.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too have no experience of raising meal worms but I hope you find the above links usefull.

Enjoy BYC :frow

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

I don't have much experience raising mealworms, so can't be of much help. I'd definitely check out the links that the above posters have posted.[​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

I would be sure to check out the links that the other posters have provided. I don't have a ton of experience with mealworms, but when I raised them, I did notice that some of the beetles got their wings chewed up, presumably from the other beetles. The missing wings didn't hurt the beetles, though occasionally, it seemed like more than just the wings got chewed off--sometimes, the other beetles and mealworms cannibalized the adult beetles. I'm not sure why, but hopefully, other BYC members/mealworm raisers can help. [​IMG]

Good luck with your mealworm farming!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I've never raised mealworms so I'm no help.

Good luck and glad to meet you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by