I'm newbie! Baby chicks update and THANK YOU TO THE FORUM!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaneRae, Apr 24, 2009.

1. LaneRae

LaneRae Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Elkton, VA
    Hi Forum!

I can not thank you enough for being here. You have helped me out so much in how to care for my babies that I do not know what I would have done without you all!
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

I have 6 babies that I purchased from Tractors Supply about a week ago. I have 2 female and 2 male Coments and I wasn't sure what the other 2 were but it turns out they are Speckled Sussex.

The Comets are not very friendly and run from me though I handle them regularly. The Sussex are both super friendly! They come out and sit on our shoulders, peep, sit on the dog, kiss us...I love them!! How old do they have to be before you can tell if they are hens or roos?

The fun really began when we started injuring house flies and feeding them to the chicks. That led to waxworms and mealworms and leafworms and so on (with grit of course). They LOVE them!

One of the little roo Comets is a bit smaller than the rest of the brood and that is the only chick that won't touch any live food. Nothing seems to be pysically wrong with him. He is perky and seems to always have a full crop of starter but when I put live food down in front of this chick it doesn't even look at it. It just walks away or some times even looks scared of it. Should I be worried?

Oh...one more question. Can I get branches from outside to put in there or is that a bad choice? They seem to already want something to perch on.

Thank you again!
    Alayne - Sunny & Cloudy (the two Speckled Sussex), Sweeny & Lovett (roo Comets), Cantalope & Tangarine (hen Comets).

2. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Hello,

My chickens never eat worms, although I have tried to get them to. It is fine. I also have a variety of roosts, including branches from time to time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by