I'm not a cat person, but....UPDATE PICS

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sherry, May 23, 2008.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Someone brought in three approximately 4 week old kittens at work, vet office. They were found abandoned in a building an arsonist tried to torch. I am thinking of bringing one home, after weaning, to be a barn cat.

Being that she's so little, think she'll learn to get along with chickens? And next year when I have more chicks, will she leave the little ones alone too?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    First, thank you for wanting to help a sweet little kitten.

Did they not find the kitty mom? She must be devastated if she's looking for her babies.

And the arsonist - he should himself feel what it's like to be burned, wanting to hurt little babies like that. I profoundly hope he's in custody? Otherwise, he will strike again.

Anyway, to your question!! Cats can get along famously with chickens. I've had some of my feral rescues all head over heels in love with my chickens, purring and just wanting to be in their presence. Once they understand the birds are family, it's great. My regular resident cats wouldn't harm them either - one loves them and the other two pretend they're not here! I do read of rare exceptions where cats will take on a chicken but with you starting from kittenhood, I would expect very happy bonding.

I would not, however, recommend having cats around little chicklets. But chicks grow very fast - during that time period keep cats separate from them, and then you should be alright.
    JJ

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    If it is a 4 week old kitten now, I would put it with my chicks supervised. The chicks will grown much faster than the kitten. Have them together as much as possible.

I have two cats. One has been around all my pets/chicks since a kitten, the other not. The kitten actually goes and hangs out with them when they are free rangig and she is a H3LL of a mouser still!

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Congratulations! You shouldn't have any problems she'll probably grow up thinking she's a chicken![​IMG] Cats can get along with anything if they are raised with them. My old cat I had thought squirrels and possums were perfectly normal bed mates! I even had a pet rat, or two, but if something wasn't supposed to be there, he knew it, and would go after wild mice.

If she is going to be around the chickens all the time, it might actually be a deterrent to some smaller predators, like mink and possums, maybe some of the birds of prey.

Shelly

5. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I also have 2 outside cats, they were 8 years old when they met their first chicken. One loves to be with the chickens and never bothers them, even my little peeps. I think he actually is trying to protect them. But he is a bird killer, it's weird, I think he knows the chickens are momma's and if he even acts funny towards them, momma will get him [​IMG]
    My other cat could care less about the chickens and actually tries to avoid them at all cost. I think your new addition will fit in just fine.
    P.S.
    Your a good person for adopting one of those kittens. Thats how I've ended up with almost all of my animals.

6. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I hope this works. Here's a pic of my little girl. She's the one in the middle with no white. The others are her 2 brothers. The mother was never located.

Oh, by the way, DH has no idea I'm bringing her home in a few weeks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kisat

kisat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    I agree with everyone. I have a cat that gets along with cats, dogs, hamsters, birds, fish, baby chickens, anything I pretty much try and have in my house.

[​IMG]

She would be the black blob on my bed in the lower left hand corner [​IMG] She liked watching over them, and still does. She does the same, but closer with my parakeet. She's allowed to stick her face up on him and everything. Proper training and introduction cats get along fine with anything.

P.S. Cute little girl and congrats!

8. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    We rescued our cat from starving/freezing to death last october at our mountain retreat. She was 4 months old. When we got our chicks she was 8 months when I introduced her to the chicks she ran and hid. She doesn't like to go outside and freaks when you try and take her out. Every time the chicks or ducks would look at her she would run and hide. She peeks once in a while at them but mostly avoids and or hides from them.

I am sure if introduced right, your cat and chicks will get along.

9. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    now that my chicks are getting big i dont have any problems with my cats. at first i was freaked out becasue my cats kill everything!! but i think they know that the chickens belong here and it ok,they dont have to kill them! i have one that may possibly think that the chicks are her kittens cause shes always with them!!!

10. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    She's precious! Unfortunately my greyhound will not allow me to have cats; oh well at least he's fine with the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by