I'm not a chicken idiot...

missbecky

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
Bowling Green, KY
Or am I? Lol

My husband and I were both raised with chickens, and have had all kinds of birds from ducks, to parrots, and parakeets.

With my Congo African Gray parrot I raised him from his hatch with no feathers, and all the hand feedings. Nail & wing clippings -etc. He was just like a baby, and spoiled.

My duck was a female Mallard that was hatched on my property, and never left with the flock. She had her mind made up that she wasn't going to do that duck stuff. She was not a duck... She was a princess, and she was staying at the castle. She acted more like a dog than a duck.

Anyhow... Here I am thinking...
With all this Avian experience why is it that I am so much like a new mother with my hens? Is there really that much difference between the species? Or is it that I have that new mother syndrome?

These chickies will be my own... No mom & dad to help me along. I could never raise my pets, and eat them, but the eggs... Absolutely! The very reason I'm raising them is because I am allergic to commercial eggs.

I have poured over every chicken book I could get my hands on (about 30). I have read up on every single chicken trauma, and possible scenario there is to know should something happen. Yet... I'm still worried/concerned that I'm doing the best I can as a new chicken mama. I already love them so much!

Is this normal for new chicken mamas? Or am I just weird?

Not weird at all. My boyfriend accuses me of "mother-henning" every critter I get. Both dogs, all 16 chickens, and the cat are beyond spoiled rotten.

When I started out over a decade ago I didn't want my silkies to injure themselves in the coop so I covered all the sharp corners with thick foam and duct tape...like new mom's would do to their coffee table when the baby starts crawling. :lau :gig

My DH is very gracious and tolerant. I have an IP camera on my girls, and call him from work to get the treats out or check out a blip I see on my screen to be sure they are all safe. With time my mother hen issues have lessened….but will never go away. They are our precious pets and we love them.

Something about those cute fluffy butts that really brings out the maternal instinct in some humans. My FIL, who was a seasoned police officer, protected his flock like they were gold. He kept them warm, well fed, but then made his kids chop their own firewood if they wanted to keep warm in the winter. Often the chickens rode in the cab of the truck while the kids had to hang on for dear life in the bed of the truck while navigating the dusty country roads.

And here I am-a 28 year veteran of the veterinary business-keeping chicks in the house because the weather is cold. Occasionally a bathroom is set up as hospital room, and I've been known to delay a vacation for a sick chicken. And I'll stay in the barn all night with a sick horse with a chicken in my lap for company.

When owning animals we do what we gotta do and chickens make it fun!

Something about those cute fluffy butts that really brings out the maternal instinct in some humans. My FIL, who was a seasoned police officer, protected his flock like they were gold. He kept them warm, well fed, but then made his kids chop their own firewood if they wanted to keep warm in the winter. Often the chickens rode in the cab of the truck while the kids had to hang on for dear life in the bed of the truck while navigating the dusty country roads.

And here I am-a 28 year veteran of the veterinary business-keeping chicks in the house because the weather is cold. Occasionally a bathroom is set up as hospital room, and I've been known to delay a vacation for a sick chicken. And I'll stay in the barn all night with a sick horse with a chicken in my lap for company.

When owning animals we do what we gotta do and chickens make it fun!
thumbsup.gif
Is this true?

thumbsup.gif
Is this true?
Yes! To this day my hubby refuses to chop wood. However, he never complains when he finds a 'patient' in his bathroom. He actually wants to keep a tiny bantam as a house chicken-and this is a man who does not like to have a dog in the house. It's kinda funny to see him get up at 1 am to make sure the house-chicks are doing well.

Yes! To this day my hubby refuses to chop wood. However, he never complains when he finds a 'patient' in his bathroom. He actually wants to keep a tiny bantam as a house chicken-and this is a man who does not like to have a dog in the house. It's kinda funny to see him get up at 1 am to make sure the house-chicks are doing well.
Chickens are easier to take care of than dogs….not quite as easy as my Buddy cat…but almost. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Back
Top Bottom