I'm Not a Chicken! You're a Turkey!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicken Shift, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Chicken Shift

Chicken Shift New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    I might be dating myself with that! and I realize it has absolutely no relevance to my into [​IMG]

Hi all, I'm Chicken Shift. I've actually been lurking this board off and on for a few years. Just recently (spring '13) I was able to get a couple of chicks from Tractor Supply. It was completely spur of the moment and I was totally unprepared.I was able , through my McGuyver like ingenuity, to rig up a Rubbermaid brooder while I hobbled together a makeshift hen house.My Avi is a picture of Red in that hen house. They (Red and Bella) seem to like it. I've been getting eggs from them since about June and they only peck me when I'm late on the mealy deliveries. They are somewhere between condescending and obnoxious towards my two pit bulls who cant decide whether to run towards the chickens or from them.

My initial reluctance to get chickens was because I had seen a woman cited for having chickens in my city. She went to a city council meeting pleading for a change in the ordinance as her daughter had a medical condition where she could not eat processed food. I'm sure we all know how hard it is to find unprocessed food these days. There was absolutely no lenience and she was forced to get rid of the birds.

Which brings me to my reason for actually signing up here. I plan on posting the city code on the appropriate page here for feedback because, in my mind, it is not specifically excluding chickens....but I may be partial. With upcoming changes to my community, I may be forced into possibly - sigh - getting rid of my ladies. I'd like to gear up for a fight, but if I'm in the wrong from the beginning ie; my interpretation of the ordinance, the battle will have already been lost.

Thanks to BYC for allowing me to sign up and providing this awesome forum of knowledge and fellowship. and thank you, the members for reading this. i hope to contribute to this community as much as possible

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG] - good luck in your quest.

3. Chicken Shift

Chicken Shift New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Thanks 1muttsfan!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC. Good luck with changing the city codes.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Chicken Shift

Chicken Shift New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Thanks, all

10. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013