Im not crazy but ive lost my mind

Matejka

Free Ranging
Long detailed post. Please bear with me. I moved here a year ago. Neighbors have wild chickens-no coop no run,roost in my pine trees. Slowly the roosters have disappeared. 5-6 hens running. I have 4 girls a rooster and recently added 12 babies. I let the big girls out to free range. I saw rooster tidbiting wilds and mating, then he led them to the coop. No go they ran. That night cooped birds 4 bigs rooster 12 babies. My newest black hen has been broody-i let her nest.this was 4 DAYS ago.
Ok. I went to coop yesterday, counted heads, all in run including black (not nesting) woo hoo! not broody anymore life got busy
Didn't go to coop today. They were making ruckus at 2 a.m. grabbed pistol and headed out. Saw a stray cat nosing around run, chased it off. Counted heads
12 babies
Rooster
Black hen
3 red hens
And 1 more light colored hen (wild I recognize her) sitting on roost nestled in with bigs like she belongs there
How why where?
They've been cooped 4 days-did I just miss her? Hiding in nest box, behind clutter?
I'm not crazy-i have an extra bird that I don't know how/
when she got in coop.
I'm not losing my mind-yet

And 1 more light colored hen (wild I recognize her) sitting on roost nestled in with bigs like she belongs there
How why where?
They've been cooped 4 days-did I just miss her? Hiding in nest box, behind clutter?

Is it possible she was up in the roof support structure over your head?

Some of my youngsters try to sleep up there.

(Thought I had a photo of Repecka the California White pullet up on the diagonal bracing but I don't).

So she likes your rooster, and your flock. good for her! safer in your coop than up in a tree, for sure. Maybe you'll acquire more hens this summer...
Given that you've been 'guesting' these birds on your property for a year, your flocks are joining, and the smart ones like your coop.
Fortunately we don't have neighbors like yours! And too many predators for birds to live long if they roost out in the trees.
Have you talked to these folks? Are they feeding their birds, and do they care that they've invaded your property?
Keeping your flock in a protected coop and run might be a good plan. And if these people want to keep their birds, they could do the same.
Mary

Neighbors came to visit this morning and my interloper

Attachments

• 20220815_091830.jpg
    20220815_091830.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220815_091852.jpg
    20220815_091852.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220815_091846.jpg
    20220815_091846.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220815_091802.jpg
    20220815_091802.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 7
So she likes your rooster, and your flock. good for her! safer in your coop than up in a tree, for sure. Maybe you'll acquire more hens this summer...
Given that you've been 'guesting' these birds on your property for a year, your flocks are joining, and the smart ones like your coop.
Fortunately we don't have neighbors like yours! And too many predators for birds to live long if they roost out in the trees.
Have you talked to these folks? Are they feeding their birds, and do they care that they've invaded your property?
Keeping your flock in a protected coop and run might be a good plan. And if these people want to keep their birds, they could do the same.
Mary
Since I have 12 4 week old babies-everyone has been cooped. Last Tuesday, I locked babies in coop (i locked the tunnel). Let bigs out, fresh feed, water, and raked pine Needles into run, so high the doghouse was covered. That night (this has to be been newbie got in) I counted bigs in run, closed run and opened tunnel. Filled feeders and fresh water friday.. daily I turn the sprinkler on a gentle spray,, and soak the run so they always have water. Haven't spent t alot of time at coop this week.
Too hot
I have been Injured (head injury)
Too hot

Since I have 12 4 week old babies-everyone has been cooped. Last Tuesday, I locked babies in coop (i locked the tunnel). Let bigs out, fresh feed, water, and raked pine Needles into run, so high the doghouse was covered. That night (this has to be been newbie got in) I counted bigs in run, closed run and opened tunnel. Filled feeders and fresh water friday.. daily I turn the sprinkler on a gentle spray,, and soak the run so they always have water. Haven't spent t alot of time at coop this week.
Too hot
I have been Injured (head injury)
Too hot
Sorry to hear about your head injury, Matejka! Hope it is not serious and you are quickly recovered!

Back
Top Bottom