I'm not dead!!! And my quails are bullying:/

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lisameow, Apr 29, 2017.

1. lisameow

lisameow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Ugh I haven't been active in so long bc I've been really busy:( anyways, my King quail seem to be bullying the smallest in the group:( nothing serious but will they settle this among themselves or should I intervene and separate? Hopefully I'll be able to sell some of them soon but in the meantime idk what to do.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    How old are they and are there multiple males and females in the enclosure? At 5-6 weeks and older, if there are multiple males and females, I'd separate the sexes to keep peace.
    If there is only one male and multiple females, it might be spring that causes hormonal aggression - but that doesn't mean it's not serious. It can escalate quickly and the bird can be plucked raw in a matter of hours, have its eyes pecked out or even be killed. So I'd at least put a layer of wire mesh between the birds so they can still see each other clearly but can't hurt the small one. Or dramatically increase the enclosure size - I had two sisters turning on each other in spring last year and I moved them from their large cage to a small aviary and haven't had an issue since.
    If they are younger than 5 weeks I'm guessing there is something wrong with the management - light, feed, heat, enclosure - but I've never experienced aggression in birds that young.

3. lisameow

lisameow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Ok I'll defiantly separate them! there's the male and female parents and four females and a male offspring that are two months old. Up till now there's been no problems and I thought that since they were together since hatching they would grow up together fine. The males do not fight at all but the others seem to be picking on the smallest female. Oh yeah and it's Autumn where I live right now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by