I'm not feeding my Chickens anymore!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by darkmatter, May 16, 2011.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I keep a “Chicken Bucket” in the kitchen which I put a scoop of scratch in it and then it gets all the food preparation scraps, cooking liquids/grease etc. all day long. In the morning when I let the chickens out I toss the bucket contents to them and repeat. All this week with the greening up and earthworms and bugs and whatever they find, the chickens are only eating the choice goodies and leaving the scratch for the wild birds to eat. So, I’m not gonna be feeding my Chickens anymore scratch. I noticed my Mulberry trees in the run are also near fruiting. There are two trees about 30 feet high with an equal spread that drop mulberries for 10 to 12 weeks (Illinois everbearing variety,planted 20 years ago), I would estimate nearly a ton of fruit from each tree drops over that period. See my BYC page for pics of the Run/Mulberry trees. I am also trying something else this year, I’ve planted Mangrels (giant sugar beets) in the Run in cages which I’ll remove the cages come fall to let them pick at them.

2. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    I'm down to feeding about 3/4 to 1 gallon of feed just to supplement for 36 layers and 3 roos. Mine have been foraging for over a month. Once it got above 45 I cut out the scratch. Ours get treats, daily, too. They love avacados![​IMG] They'll eat anything except uncook celery or carrots. I don't give them anything moldy, though.

I'd be careful about feeding them any veggie or canola oil. It's hydrogenated = near plastic and it's almost all GMO. But, I'd give 'em the animal fats.

3. Maite

Maite Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I didn't know this could be done. Super noob

4. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    All our kitchen prep waste and leftover bread/rice/oatmeal etc goes to the chickens. They gladly turn it into compost for us.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

For the backyard flock where production is not as critical as in commercial flocks using kitchen and yard waste to help decrease feed costs is a good choice. However if you have to have a high level of production you whould be careful with the amount of scraps you feed as you my limit the nurition intake by th birds.

Jim

6. Maite

Maite Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I have six little chicks (they Follow me around!! so cute) so when their older I'll do this, any input on when I cna start?

7. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Just be careful they don't get too hungry and start eating YOUR eggs! [​IMG]

8. sassifrassi

sassifrassi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Toronto
    I'm down to feeding about 3/4 to 1 gallon of feed just to supplement for 36 layers and 3 roos. Mine have been foraging for over a month. Once it got above 45 I cut out the scratch. Ours get treats, daily, too. They love avacados! They'll eat anything except uncook celery or carrots. I don't give them anything moldy, though.

I'd be careful about feeding them any veggie or canola oil. It's hydrogenated = near plastic and it's almost all GMO. But, I'd give 'em the animal fats.

Avocados are considered poisonous to parrots. Is it not the same for chickens?

Michelle

9. seahoob

seahoob Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Orangevale CA
    I have been feeding waste scraps to my girls sense the get go. I still put out lay crumble but have significantly reduce the amount I put out to reduce wasted feed. Every sense I started letting them free range around the yard, they seem to be very uninterested in anything they can't forage for themselves. Saves me a bundle of feed supplies.

10. okieinalaska

okieinalaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Quote:

Avocados are considered poisonous to parrots. Is it not the same for chickens?

Michelle

I thought avacados were a no no for chickens??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by