I'm not getting anything done!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CodyChristine, May 13, 2008.

1. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Ok, first time chickie mama here....and my house is a serious mess! [​IMG] I can't get anything done! I find myself going to check on the chicks and standing there for 20 minutes or so playing with them, watching them, laughing at them, etc. They are so darn cute and fun to watch!! I kept reading about this "addiction" thing and I'm afraid I caught it! [​IMG]

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    They are cute little bundles of fluff, aren't they? [​IMG]

3. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    They should come with a warning label! [​IMG]

4. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Quote:You hit the nail on the head there! They are in my laundry room so needless to say, I'm all caught up on the laundry for the first time in weeks! lol

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Just wanted to say Welcome to the Madness! [​IMG]

Dawn

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've found the same thing happening. I decided to get chickens for eggs but never expected to really enjoy just sitting and watching them!

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I'm not getting anything done, either! All my normal tasks are falling by the wayside because of my beloved chicks!! It bugs me.....but I can't stop checking my birdy babies. [​IMG]

Not only am I not getting things done, but I 'm also not getting much sleep. I wake up in the night once to check them(even though they live in a room upstairs in my house for now!), and I always feel compelled to clean the brooders at bedtime when they need cleaning. Then, of course, because all my chicks are so spoiled, I have to pick up and cuddle each one of them. There's 18 chicks, 4 ducks, 2 geese. You can imagine how long that takes. *-*

It's like an addiction/compulsion. I think it's because you are raising these tiny, sweet creatures from their first days of life. I know I feel very maternal and protective about my birds. I thhink it's probably natural when you bond so closely with such helpless, endearing creatures.

8. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Add me to the list as well! We had to build a bigger brooder in the basement for the girls and I now feel that they are being neglected because they are no longer just in the back bedroom / easy access. I do sit with them a lot but not as much as I did. We have to get the coop built so we can enjoy them more!

9. HenMamma

HenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    I am the same way. Last night during a commercial break I went to check on my babies. DH came down a little later and said the show was over. 20 min had gone by! You just get lost in the cuteness.

10. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    I also end up cleaning the brooders right before I should be going to bed! I go in to check on them and put them to "bed" for the night, and I end up cleaning the brooders, hand-feeding them for a few minutes, cooing at the smaller babies, and such. By the time I get to bed, I am exausted, but I just can't help myself!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by