I'm not getting as many eggs,,,anybody know why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by purecountrychicken, Dec 14, 2009.

1. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I have 22 Barred Plymouth Rocks. During the summer I was getting atleast 18 eggs per day. Now I'm only getting 8 or 9 per day. The coldest its gotten so far was 27 degrees 2 night in a row. But warmed back up in the 40s. I was wondering if Barred Rock slack of in the winter more then other breeds? That and is there anything I can do? I have tried feeding them crack corn but doesnt seem to be helping much. My dad has 33 red sex links and he still gets 24 to 26 eggs per day. Any answers would be great,,,thanks.

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Maybe lay off the corn a bit and increase their protein with some black oil sunflower seeds. Also, they maybe going through a molt, they don't even have to be going through a major molt for them to decrease their laying. Good luck and hopefully you get some more answers soon. I have comets or red sexlinks, whatever you want to call them and they do lay faithfully on a daily basis regardless of whether they're molting or not. They're more of a commercial/hybrid breed so I expect this of them, not so much of my heritage breeds although they're pretty consistent too. Age is a factor also, the older they get, the less they lay.

3. purecountrychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I do run a light in the coop,,,it comes on about 4 in the morning. They will be 15 months old on Dec. 29th but I thought it was a lil early for them to start molt. thanks

4. purecountrychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I do run a light in the coop,,,it comes on about 4 in the morning. They will be 15 months old on Dec. 29th but I thought it was a lil early for them to start molt. thanks

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Do not feed extra corn it lowers protien levels. You need high protien to get eggs. With Rocks your layer should be 18% or 20%. If it is not change it. Purnina Flock Raiser is 20% but you will need oyster shell as it does not have enough calcium. Some place to find a new and better feed place check local yellow pages look under feed mill or store. Also go to a manufacter web site like ,Blueseal, Kent,Southern States, Nutrena ect to find a dealer close to you. Cut out all treats for now unless greens, no scratch at all. A moult will stop a chicken from laying also. Chickens moult after 1 year of age yours are that old. Then feeding the higher protien is even more important.

I free range and mine are picking up due to some just coming into lay. But do not compare them to sexlinks for those are high bred not pure stock. Which means they will burn out fast and have to be rplaced while yours will last many more years. Chickens do have to take a break from laying. Making eggs takes alot out of them. In winter you will not get as many as summer no matter what you do. If a chicken lays like a sexlink by 2 years it must be replaced because of egg burn out many do not live past that time.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  6. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I am in N.C., and note you in S.C. I am about 1/2 production since it got cold. This is after a 'cool weather' temporary increase.

7. purecountrychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I feed them 20% protein layer pellets and black oil sunflower seeds. I'll stop the crack corn and see if that helps. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by