1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm not going to TOSS eggs during/after medicating my chickens.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joebryant, Sep 23, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Anyone see a problem with this:
    I'm not going to "TOSS" eggs for two weeks, standard procedure, during/after medicating my seven hens for prevention of their getting respiratory disease after my rooster's having had it. That would be several dozen eggs wasted. I have two Genesis 1588 incubators, and I'm going to stick a week's worth in each one.

BTW, all of my chickens have been taking Tetracycline, the antibiotic, in their drinking water for four days now with three days to go. I was told to toss the eggs an extra seven days after treating the flock.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I don't know. Are you just stirring the pot again?

just sayin'[​IMG]

3. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

Your hens never showed symptoms?

What medication(s) did you give them in order to "prevent" them from getting it?

4. amyrains

amyrains Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    camden
    i did that with mine that were "toss eggs" and they hatched out just fine ...2 months now and still no probs...so.....

5. joebryant

Quote:My vet who treated (saved his life) my rooster for a week told me to treat the flock as a preventative for seven days with Tetraycycline in their drinking water.

6. joebryant

Quote:amyrains, then it was probably a reply from you that I read recently on "some?" post somewhere that gave me the idea to do this.

7. joebryant

Quote:Aw shucks... ummm... yeah... probably.

8. coq au vin

Quote:My vet who treated (saved his life) my rooster for a week told me to treat the flock as a preventative for seven days with Tetraycycline in their drinking water.

hmmm...

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but you are familiar with CRD and the fact that survivors are carriers for life, right?

9. joebryant

hmmm...

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but you are familiar with CRD and the fact that survivors are carriers for life, right?

HUH? CRD? What's that?

10. coq au vin

Quote:Chronic Respiratory Disease

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by