i'm not sure, is this rooster any good?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tinychicky, Mar 20, 2011.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    is he show quality, i mean? he's a spangled old english bantam. i haven't been able to find many good pictures of his breed, and when i do, they don't look much like him-they don't have as much white. he's in terrible feather condition in these pictures, and, yes, i realize he looks like he has scaly leg, i treated that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

while i'm at it, how are these boys?
    lav dutch
    [​IMG]
    mottled cochin
    [​IMG]
    red pyle oegb
    [​IMG]

all together in thier bachelor pad
    [​IMG]
    thanks in advance!

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I'm loveing that self blue. the mottled cochin looks nice. on the OEGB males over one year MUST be dubbed otherwise it is a DQ
    here is a pic of my spangled roo i got him yesterday
    [​IMG]
    he is not perfect by any means, however see how much more organized the spangles are ? they line up in rows on the wings
    this hen placed BV,RB and reserve OEGB and 4th best jr bantam in show yesterday
    [​IMG]

3. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    yeah, i know he needs to be dubbed and his wattles cropped, but i wanted to find out his quality before i bother. the spangled is rather skittish, so it was hard to get him to pose well. i'l try again tomorrow. i've had a lot of trouble finding homes for these guys, so i've decided to just keep them. my main coop already has enough roosters, and i'm a vegetarian, so they aren't really earning thier keep, so it would be nice if i could show them.

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    all are pretty nice roosters

6. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the lavender is a oeg to not a dutch

7. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    If your Lavender (self Blue) has red earlobes...it would be an Old english as well....Dutch have white earlobes....

8. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    The self blue looks like an Old English to me to. White ear lobes is a pretty common defect because of Dutch in the blood lines. The color on the red pyle looks good. The Skelly legs are a pretty common issue with these birds when they get older and not necessarily caused by mites. I know absolutely nothing about cochins, but he looks nice to me. If they were mine I'd go ahead and dub them it's amassing how much better it makes them look, and the only way you'll really know is if you show them, plus it's fun.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    THe birds all lokk clean, healthy & well cared for. That means you are doing your job well.

However, you asked if the birds are "show quality" & they're not. They are all pretty typical of hatchery/pet quality stock. I have the impression that you're a young person & if so & you'll be showing in 4H they will do ok but in an open show they wouldn't fare well. Other people are right, the Self Blue [Lavender] is an Old English not a Dutch. The Mottled Cochin is probably the best of the lot.
    I think your Spangled male may be old enough to vote! Those are some long spurs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by