1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm not sure what to do about clipping my quails wings.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 04Oliver12, Jan 29, 2016.

1. 04Oliver12

04Oliver12 New Egg

Jan 29, 2016
    I'm getting two Chinese painted (button) quail but i am not sure about clipping their wings because i don't want them to go over the neighbor's short fence when they are in the garden as i want to keep them as pets. Is it simple enough to do it my self or should i get it done by a professional and could someone give me some tips on how to make them less timid so i can handle them as pets. Thanks.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

The minute you let those buttons out you'll never see them again. They are not pets, they will never want your attention beyond filling the feeder. Quail in general are not the right choice for a free range bird. They are nothing like chickens at all.

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    NO, NO, NO, please do not clip their wings and let them out into you garden!!!

They will get out through a tiny hole or gap and get eaten by the neighbourhood cat or other predator.

These birds are not pets.. they don't know to stay in your garden.. and they don't like being touched, picked up or petted.

They are ornamental birds.. to be watched for their looks and behaviours.

5. 04Oliver12

04Oliver12 New Egg

Jan 29, 2016
    OK thanks I'll keep them in the cage from now on and in the house on occasion.

6. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

Much safer to keep them in a cage. If you can post a picture of your quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by