I'm now the proud Mamma of a Muscovey Duckling!! PHOTOS

I love the shot of her drying her wings with the baby duck at the pools edge. Priceless picture!!!! I thought my chickens were cool........ I have 5 week old runner ducks and they are awesome! Who would have though birds were this cool?

Quote:
Ohhhhhhh I'd love to see photos of your ducks :) I'll be watching for news of your babies hatching, I get so excited when someone posts that ducks are hatching LOL
We have horses, dogs, cats, chickens (58) and ducks...one day my husband was griping (teasing me) about the cost of feed and said he might have to sell my critters..I told him go for it but we will NEVER sell my ducks! If I were only able to choose 1 type of critter to have it would be ducks all the way.

Michelle

Quote:
20 ducklings? Ohhhhhh how wonderful that must be! I spend at least 4 hours a day (ok many more hours probably) outside with my ducks, I have a lawn chair out there, carry my phone, camera and smokes and just sit and talk to my babies. I find them much more entertaining than the t.v. ;-)

I had to give my 14 month old Pekin Drake away a couple of months ago and it was very hard. I gave him to a friend who lives about 10 minutes away and she treats him great but I cried all the way to her house and held him in my arms saying good bye for half an hour. We stayed for a visit and I watched him get out of the pond and go to our truck...talk about heart breaking. She said he looked for me for a week, but eventually he settled in with his 9 new girlfriends. He's a Jumbo Pekin and my youngest pekin hen is handicapped, he was terribly rough on her with the mating and of course she was his favorite so I had to rehome him.
Right now my two grown Pekin Hens are driving me nuts, they keep topping each other, the little hussies need a man LOL My Mallard Drake isn't old enough yet, bet they'll be happy when he is ;-)

Michelle

Quote:
I'm like you, I love my chickens but my ducks rank number one in my heart. Since I was a little girl I collected anything to do with hens, roosters, ducks and geese..I'm loving that I can now have the real thing, so much better!!

Michelle

Yesterday my hubby was peeking out the patio door

Hubby: What the heck is that thing?

Me: What thing?

Hubby: That is the ugliest thing I've ever seen!

Me: Huh?

Hubby: It sticks it's head out at me when I get close to it.

Me: Huh?

Hubby: (Pointing) It's right there.

Me: (looking out the window at my gorgeous blue drake and chocolate hen grazing in the pasture)
Um, that's a duck.

Hubby: No way.

Kids: ROFL

Me: I think he's pretty. If he gets really worked up his mohawk even pops up.

Hubby: No Way

DS: Yeah dad, and he wags his butt like this. (DS almost falls over he's wagging his butt so much.)

Me: ROFLMAO

I guess I'm not the only one that thinks he's pretty. I've sold every duckling I've hatched this year. UGH! I was planning on keeping some back for next year.

Good thing I have some gorgeous ducklings from cottage rose. Sure wish she was hatching more this year.

I just love ducklings. The geese are the ones that I could not give up though. I love my ducks, but the geese have wormed their way in.

LOL what a fun conversation!!
When I bought my Mallards at the feed store they had some goslings there, 3 different ages and one of them came right up to me and let me pick it up...I wanted that baby! Well the brother of the clerk went out to our truck and told my husband it looked like I was about to buy a gosling as well and my husband said "well she'll be bringing it right back in, I don't want no geese"...*sigh*
Anyway the clerk couldn't remember the price of the goslings so asked me to either come back the next day or call to find out. Once I got to the truck first thing DH says is " please tell me you didn't buy a goose!" I said no but I almost did. Some friends offered me some of their goslings when they hatched this spring but noooooooo old fussbucket doesn't think geese are nice so we don't have them. I won't give up LOL One day I will also have geese ;-)

Michelle

Quote:
20 ducklings? Ohhhhhh how wonderful that must be! I spend at least 4 hours a day (ok many more hours probably) outside with my ducks, I have a lawn chair out there, carry my phone, camera and smokes and just sit and talk to my babies. I find them much more entertaining than the t.v. ;-)

I had to give my 14 month old Pekin Drake away a couple of months ago and it was very hard. I gave him to a friend who lives about 10 minutes away and she treats him great but I cried all the way to her house and held him in my arms saying good bye for half an hour. We stayed for a visit and I watched him get out of the pond and go to our truck...talk about heart breaking. She said he looked for me for a week, but eventually he settled in with his 9 new girlfriends. He's a Jumbo Pekin and my youngest pekin hen is handicapped, he was terribly rough on her with the mating and of course she was his favorite so I had to rehome him.
Right now my two grown Pekin Hens are driving me nuts, they keep topping each other, the little hussies need a man LOL My Mallard Drake isn't old enough yet, bet they'll be happy when he is ;-)

Michelle

Thanks for wishing me lots of babies! I think next spring will be exciting for sure! I imagine we may get some little bantam babies from our little group as well. I hear you, I wish I could just spend some time sitting with them more often. I am going to schedual a day where I can just enjoy my critters. LOL, have hubby take the kids out, and get overly caught up on the gazillion chores the day before. I am very fond of my chickens, but the ducks have it at this point hands down. I don't know why, but they are just captivating. I wonder if it is because you are forced to work harder to keep them. I am looking forward to adding geese next spring, still haven't settled on a breed, LOL, I may have to get more than one type because there seems to be so many interesting ones that are on the rare or critical list. Who knows...I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love them.
smile.png

Quote:
lau.gif
Your poor hubby doesn't stand a chance! My husband gets tired of my antics, and I just tell him if you wanted a woman who would stand around with no goals of her own you should have married a different woman. I take care of everything here with very little help, even the building and fencing, he is not allowed to complain....., much.
smile.png
I'm a stay at home mom, so he does get a say in the financial dept. LOL. He's a pretty good sport though, and likes it more than he lets on. I catch him from time to time out just apreciating the flocks..I laugh and tell him he's so busted!

aweee such cute pictures. i am glad i was able to help in the tricking of hubby
lol.png
scooter is sooooooooooooooooo cute!!!! and looks like he has a loving mommy who is also very pretty!!!!

i love my scovies. LOL i love when my drake puts his mohawk up. it's so funny and the noise he makes before he does and the noise he makes after he is done mating LOL it's sooo funny! i love how he wags his tail ONLY when i go outside. he ignores everyone else. looks like i raised him right LOL my hen on the other hand only likes me when i have catfood LOL

Back
Top Bottom