I'm now the proud Mamma of a Muscovey Duckling!! PHOTOS

PlumTuckered

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 27, 2007
Arkansas
Bit of background:
My husband thinks 'Scovies are the ugliest ducks in the world and said "no way can I have any"...kinda got my feathers ruffled, I mean c'mon I'm a 51 yr old woman being told I CAN'T have a duck I want???
Well I have Pekins and Mallards and kept silently wishing I could have 'scovies too. A neighbor brought some of her 'scovie eggs over and asked me to hatch them for her. My oldest Pekin hatched 2 out, sadly one died at a day old when both Pekin broody Hens got in the nest with it (accidental death I'm sure).
Second baby hatched out fine 23 days ago and has been doing wonderful with my oldest Pekin Hen.
Here's my 14 month old Pekin Hen with the 'scovie baby who was 3 days old at the time:
2832_dianascooter3daysold.jpg

I have 3 more of neighbor's scovie eggs in the incubator fully veined right now.

A few days ago Hubby hears me talking with neighbor saying how I wish wish wish I could have 'scovies and he says " I think they are so ugly and don't like them but if you want them that bad go ahead"...Neighbor says Ohhh you should keep Scooter (23 day old duckling) and I'll wait on the other 3 eggs. YEEHAWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Scooter is my baby!!! This lil booger is such a riot, can outrun my other ducks and is quite proud of the fact. Scooter plays with my other ducks and they all look out for her even though Mamma Duck tries to chase them away from her. My Mallard Drake who mothers my three mallard gals that are a month younger than him even watches over Scooter...one big beautiful happy family :) Here are some photos I took yesterday after the big thunderstorm:

Scooter and Mamma Duck in the grass:
2832_mammaandscootergrass.jpg

Mamma shaking the water from her wings after swimtime
2832_mammashadesscooter.jpg

Preening after pool play
2832_mammascooterpreen.jpg

Scooter's first taste of watermelon
2832_scootersfirstwmelon.jpg

Peekaboo Scooter
2832_scooterpeekaboo.jpg

and just because I love this photo of Mamma Duck preening
2832_mammaduckpreens.jpg

My Duck family consists of Mamma Duck the Pekin 14 months old, Scrappy Pekin Hen that I hatched in the house 8 months old, Mallard Drake 13 weeks old, 3 Mallard baby girls 9 weeks old and Scooter the 'Scovie duckling 23 days old :)

Michelle

Congratulations! LOL, I'm 33 and telling me no is a lesson in futility! Heaven help anyone who trys to tell me no once I'm over 40. LOL! Glad your husband finially got on board, I love my Muscovies! So many colors, and just lovely to watch. What a great Pekin Momma! Now you're gonna need some more....
lol.png

I do plan to get more 'scovies, even hatching eggs if I can and yes I hope to get some Khaki's one day, everytime I see photos of them my heart just melts into a puddle :)

One of these days I'll get up the nerve to buy some hatching eggs :)

Mamma Duck has gone from chasing and nipping the mallards to just turning and acting like she's going to charge them so I figure in a week or so she'll mellow out and treat them like they belong together. She has absolutely no problem at all with my other pekin hen being with her baby...ducks are so funny you gotta love them!

Sometimes both of my Pekin Hens will jump in the pool together for a swim, Scooter joins them and when they all get out she stands between the two hens and she preens their feathers, so funny to watch her little head go from one hen's feathers to the other's.

Michelle

Awww, that sounds so cute! I just love babies! I think if all my 'Scovy girls are true to form (looks like I have five) I will have ducklings comming out of my ears next Spring. Let's hope there is a market for them around here.

Five Scovie girls...ohhhhhh you lucky booger!!!! I hope you get lots and lots of babies :)

I can't wait to figure out what sex Scooter is.

Michelle

Awww!! Scooter is adorable, and momma duck is just beautiful! I'ts too bad you don't live closer, i could just give you s little buddy for scooter, i've got more than enough running around here, lol. Thankfully the adults and them are all starting to slowly get along a little better though..
roll.png

Aww so sweet of you to want to Bleenie :) I do wish my neighbor had brought more eggs over for that first hatch, even though Scooter gets along with all of the ducks it would have been better if he/she had some sibblings to play with. My neighbor's Muscovies free range 24/7, no house or pen for them so the gals lay their eggs wherever they want, any eggs that are found by my neighbor are by pure luck LOL

Michelle

I just had a Scovy baby hatch today and I have 4 more eggs in the incubator that should hatch today or tomorrow. I also have 4 adult female Scovy's and 5 Scovy's that were hatched Valentines day.

Then I have Pekins, Runners, Khaki Campbells, Blue Swedish, Calls, Cayugas, Roeuns, and a Mallard. LOL We love our duckies!

Congrats on Scooter! She's a doll!

Laurie

I have about 20 older ducklings out in the yard and a few more babies still in the brooder. the brooder babies are fairly new but i have already sold a few thankfully...it's so much fun watching them grow, but i know it's going to be a lot harder to sell them as adults, after raising them all that time..
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom