1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm offically the CRICKET-GETTER.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Doormantnt, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I think I have started a very bad habit....LOL
    whenever I am in the yard (which is alot) the girls are always out of the enclosed run, and in an open fenced areas. But then there is Tweeter. She is a 22 week old Barred rock and is ALWAYS at my feet. The other 5 (mixed breeds) really don't care what I do as long as I feed and water them. But Tweeter has personality.
    Last night she proceeded to follow me around the property, and I had to flip every bucket, piece of lumber, rock, crate, move an old tractor, brush on the fence, trash can, recycle bin, you get the point. ALL FOR THE BELOVED CRICKET.....when ever she would stop all I had to do was bend over and poof there she was, her head 2 inches from my had waiting to find "treasure".....

So what a sight. a thirty-something year old redneck-biker(that doesn't really fit the neighboorhood..LOL..) being followed around by a chicken, flipping trash for hours.......CHICKENS ARE ADDICTIVE.....LOLOLOLOL....

TNT

2. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Cute cute! You should post a pic of Tweeter![​IMG]

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    My 2 DS catch lots of crickets for our chickens. The best time is when the grass is still dewy and my DH mows the lawn. The last time my boys cought 13 crickets and the chickens went nuts. [​IMG]

4. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I knew if anyone would understand my questionable sanity, it would be here.....

It is hard to get anything done when I am "providing" for the ladies. LOL...

TNT

5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I always try to cut the grass when the chickens are free-ranging. They just follow along the side of the mower, catching all the crickets and grasshoppers jumping out of the way. They follow my DH's tractor when he's bush-hogging also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by