I'm officially addicted to air plants.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Malibu99, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    So for Christmas, my parents got me a little air plant (a tillandsia Ioantha). I fell in love and bought 3 T. Strictas from Etsy. Then I saw a terrarium necklace on Etsy with a tiny dwarf Ioantha inside. I bought one of those as well and they sent an extra (a neglecta!). Counting pups, I have 9 in all. I think I'm officially addicted. Anyone else share my addiction?

[​IMG] the neglecta

[​IMG] the miniature Ioantha

I'll see if I can get some good pictures of my birdcage terrarium tomorrow.

2. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    I love the necklace and yes I have many air plants, one started to flower and then it died, I watered it the way the girl at the nursery told me to, once a month soak for 15 mins shake off excess water, so sad

3. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Aw :( I soak my air plants 20 minutes 2-3x a week, then an overnight soak once a month. A tip for flowering plants is avoid getting the flower wet as that'll make the bloom last longer. What varieties do you have?

4. TSW99

TSW99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    I love tillandsia's I live in florida so you can find them on just about any tree here!

5. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    oh wow that would be so neat, I will have to post a pic for you because I have a couple different ones and don't know their names, maybe you could help me with that, I just picked them up at my local nursery

6. TSW99

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    Okay shure

7. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Oh my goodness... I need to move to Florida [​IMG]

Okay, I'll see if I can identify them :)

8. KennyCouch

KennyCouch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2015
    Schulenberg, TX
    I love air plants, I have a few epiphytic ferns I baby a lot. My favorite are my stag horns and my crocodile fern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I absolutely love crocodile ferns, the texture is amazing!

9. TSW99

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    are crocodile ferns like birds nest ferns?

10. KennyCouch

KennyCouch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2015
    Schulenberg, TX
    Very similar, except that I have a near miraculous ability to kill Bird's Nest ferns but my Croc is doing fine. I had a Rabbit's Foot fern that lasted a summer before it died but the Kangaroo Paw fern is going crazy. The house we are about to move to has a variety of different air plants scattered throughout the property. Noone has lived on the property, which has a wet weather creek, in 15 years. So I'm excited to see what natives plants I'll have access to.

Here is a top down view of the Crocodile fern, it's a different family than Bird's Nest ferns but it takes the same conditions. The leave can get enormous, I've seen 3-4 feet long and the texture is just amazing. Mine looks a lot better when it hasn't been sitting in a garage. I took down the green house two weeks ago in preparation for moving so everything is suffering.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by