I'm on Day 18...What do I do when they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zigzag3337, Mar 5, 2009.

1. zigzag3337

zigzag3337 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Callahan, FL.
    I have an incubator that kept the eggs in until day 18 then I moved them into a hatchery (because I set eggs a week apart). In order to keep my humidity around the 65% range I had to close off the vents in my hatchery. The temp is averaging 99*-100* so I think I'm okay to hatch the eggs. However, being that this is my first batch, what do I do when they hatch? I have read that they need fresh air, so do I open the vent holes which will lower the humidity, or do I just leave it alone for the first few hours? Can I take the new chicks out right away and put them in a brooder?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure that I don't do something that will harm the chicks that could have been prevented.

Thanks in advance!

2. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    Hey Richard,
    Any of these eggs from my girls? I hope so, they make beautiful babies [​IMG]

Once they crack the shells open, your humidity will go up. I would pull a vent plug out to get some fresh air in there and let the stinky air out. You can place a sponge in there by one of the vent holes and use a straw to drop some water in there if you need to. Don't open the bator to take any chicks out until all your eggs have hatched or you run the risk of messing up the remaining eggs.
    If you want to, send me a PM with your phone number and I'll give you a call tomorrow!

3. zigzag3337

zigzag3337 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Callahan, FL.
    Thanks Scraps.

When I made my hatchery, I made it with a 3/8" tube going to a dish at the bottom of the bator, this is so I can add water if needed. I have the bator taped closed to help keep it more stable too.

As far as your chicken eggs...No, this was some of the RIR's eggs I set right before the swap of the birds I got rid of. And then I added some EE eggs a week later. After these either hatch or not, I want to set some more of the BO's and BR's to see if I can get some chicks from them also.

BTW, how are the birds doing? I had to wind up and get rid of my other EE roo. The one I got from you didn't get along with him and the hens were stressed out, so I thought that the best thing for the flock was to give him to one of my co-workers.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by