I'm on day 20 and...

Fly Be Free

Songster
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
South Carolina
I have a pip!!!
wee.gif
I'm a greenhorn at this. This is my first hatch ever.

Here's my question... It hasn't changed in 6 hours. I can hear him/ her peeping away in there. Everytime it sees my flashlight it peeps. I soooooo want to flick a piece of that shell off. LOL How long is too long to wait??

Also, can they peep in there and be heard before they pip?

Congratulations!!!! I am a newby too. I am on day 17, so you are 3 days ahead of me. Good luck!!!! How many eggs in the bater?
AWESOME! I'd love for you to post here and give me updates on how your hatch is going. I thought I was excited on day 17 but OMGosh! When today arrived and I hadn't seen any changes I started to freak. LOL Then I heard that tiny peep. I can't hear low tones well at all but high pitch ones I can detect. I thought I was hearing things then I spotted that pip. :) Now everytime I shine the light in there it talks to me.

I have homeschool with my son tomorrow. I don't think it's going to be a very productive day if that lil fella peeps all night. LOL

Oh and I have 17 in there. :) There are a couple that are iffy. So I'm just trying to be patient. I don't DO patience. God is probably grinning at all my squirming right now.

Congrats, It can take 24 hours after the initial pip to fully hatch. After 36 hours if nothing is happening, that is when I begin to help, but that becomes a judgement call on your part. Good luck. :fl

Thank you 4 H!!! I appreciate the help. :) I'm so nervous and excited (we won't talk about that whole impatient thing). heehee

I'll leave lil Turdy alone until after 36 hours. (nicknamed "turdy" cuz it's the dirtiest egg in there LOL)

be patience ! they do take a loooong time !!!

I have a pip!!!
wee.gif
I'm a greenhorn at this. This is my first hatch ever.

Here's my question... It hasn't changed in 6 hours. I can hear him/ her peeping away in there. Everytime it sees my flashlight it peeps. I soooooo want to flick a piece of that shell off. LOL How long is too long to wait??

Also, can they peep in there and be heard before they pip?

Well, at 3am one of the white ones hatched out and just peeped up a storm. By 4am I had a black silkie. Got up this morning at 7:30 and there was number three. Another white silkie. I looked over and little turdy was really pecking at his shell. LOL I guess he decided to play along after all.

I took video of it and it was hysterical to watch the pieces of eggshell not just crack and/ or fall but FLY off the egg. He meant business! And wouldn't you know it... Turdy is kinda brown. LMBO!!!

So, I'm up to 4. I'm guessing these guys are a tad older than the others. So, now I wait. :)

Back
Top Bottom