I'm on day 20 and...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fly Be Free, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    I have a pip!!! [​IMG] I'm a greenhorn at this. This is my first hatch ever.

Here's my question... It hasn't changed in 6 hours. I can hear him/ her peeping away in there. Everytime it sees my flashlight it peeps. I soooooo want to flick a piece of that shell off. LOL How long is too long to wait??

Also, can they peep in there and be heard before they pip?

2. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Congratulations!!!! I am a newby too. I am on day 17, so you are 3 days ahead of me. Good luck!!!! How many eggs in the bater?

3. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    AWESOME! I'd love for you to post here and give me updates on how your hatch is going. I thought I was excited on day 17 but OMGosh! When today arrived and I hadn't seen any changes I started to freak. LOL Then I heard that tiny peep. I can't hear low tones well at all but high pitch ones I can detect. I thought I was hearing things then I spotted that pip. :) Now everytime I shine the light in there it talks to me.

I have homeschool with my son tomorrow. I don't think it's going to be a very productive day if that lil fella peeps all night. LOL

Oh and I have 17 in there. :) There are a couple that are iffy. So I'm just trying to be patient. I don't DO patience. God is probably grinning at all my squirming right now.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Congrats, It can take 24 hours after the initial pip to fully hatch. After 36 hours if nothing is happening, that is when I begin to help, but that becomes a judgement call on your part. Good luck. :fl

5. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thank you 4 H!!! I appreciate the help. :) I'm so nervous and excited (we won't talk about that whole impatient thing). heehee

I'll leave lil Turdy alone until after 36 hours. (nicknamed "turdy" cuz it's the dirtiest egg in there LOL)

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    one of my chickies had a hard time getting out at 33 hours ! I end up helping, very carefully with a wet warm cloth. She is doing well ( 1 week old)

7. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    be patience ! they do take a loooong time !!!

8. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Well, at 3am one of the white ones hatched out and just peeped up a storm. By 4am I had a black silkie. Got up this morning at 7:30 and there was number three. Another white silkie. I looked over and little turdy was really pecking at his shell. LOL I guess he decided to play along after all.

I took video of it and it was hysterical to watch the pieces of eggshell not just crack and/ or fall but FLY off the egg. He meant business! And wouldn't you know it... Turdy is kinda brown. LMBO!!!

So, I'm up to 4. I'm guessing these guys are a tad older than the others. So, now I wait. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by