I'm on Day 20... what to expect?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wjallen05, Feb 24, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Hi everyone well this is my first hatching experience and I am on day 20. I have a still-air incbator which I've kept at 99-100 the whole time (but yesterday I read in a thread that it should be kept at 102 so I'm sort of confused now about that...) I have 19 good eggs that I've been candeling all along and have seen movement. Should I be hearing peeps right about now or what? I don't want to miss anything but I don't want to be too obessive/impatient either. [​IMG]

Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    What you want to expect is 19 new chicks!!! Just sit back and play the waiting game...

3. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    LOL hush!! I know that! [​IMG]

I am wondering about peeping and pipping and zipping and all that stuff people talk about it.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, still air bators should be at higher temps than circulated air ones. They may be a bit late, but hard to say. Today is Day 20 for me, too.

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    you may hear peeping and you may not. if you look real close you may see some tiny little pips. If they are going to hatch late(which is a possibility if you were running at that temp) it may be a few more days before you see or hear anything. good luck!

6. 98 gt

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    My last batch were at that temp and hatched normally and on schedule

7. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    Once you see a pip (little crack in the shell) it may be up to 24 hours before anything else happens. Be patient and don't worry, they know what to do! And for gods sake, don't open up the bator to mess with it! I did on my first hatch and about killed a few of them.......

8. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Oh gosh now I'm worried.... why can't I open the bator??

What do I keep the temp at once they hatch?

I've been opening the bator a lot tonight in an attempt to get the humidity level up, but I can't get it above 65% to save my life! I have the moister ring filled, a cup of water, 4 soaked rags, and both vent plugs closed.

Temp now is at 101. It's a still-air.

9. 98 gt

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    65 is plenty, leave the bator shut so the temp and humidity don't fluctuate much...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by