Im on day two, is it too late to switch to the carton method?

aubreynoramarie

designated lawn flamingo
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I dont have an auto turner and i am somewhat concerned about how much i rock around the eggs when i turn them all and how long it takes me to turn each egg. i tried just rolling them but because they are all differently sized they go everywhere.

anywho, i just learned about the carton method, and iwas wondering if its too late to try that? this way i could keep my bator shut and just lean it from side to side.

thanks AGAIN

No it's not to late but you have to lean the egg cartons from side to side and not the bator.
I would think that the water wells wouldn't be able to stay full if you did that???
I use the carton method and turn them twice a day and it has worked great!

I don't prop up the cartons, I have an auto-turner for all my incubators. But, I would imagine either a plastic Rubbermaid or Tupperware container would work. OR, use a dictionary to prop up one whole end of the 'bator and then switch it to the other side, if the 'bator will work okay at an angle. Just a thought.

well i could only get my hands on an 18 count styrofoam carton. guess the other 12 eggs will have to rough it the old fashioned way. i guess it should still cut down the time i have the bator open anyways.

i wonder if i tied three eggs together and placed them upside down in the bator, they should stay upright....like a teepee, then i oculd just tilt the bator...hmmm... thoughts?

Quote:
I'm not sure how it would work w/ a doz & a half egg carton, but I glued a pc of 3/4" pvc (plumbing) pipe under the dozen cartons. Then you just have to 'roll' them to the other side. It looks like about the same angle as the turners use. You will probably want to cut the bottoms out of the cartons too for air circulation. There are some great posts on here if you'll google: hatching in egg cartons. Good Luck w/ your hatch! '
smile.png
'

awesome! ive already cut the bottoms. here we go! hopefully this will be the last time i have to touch the little ones besides candling and lockdown setup
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom