How bout them DAWGS!
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Buchanan, Georgia
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif

I'm so mad I could spit!! I went to a chicken swap and got som Blue splash Marans. I put them in a pen away from the rest of my flock. I got up this morning to find that the little pullet's head and feet had been pulled through the wire and eatten!!
he.gif
I will be killing what ever did this. This just makes me so flipin mad!!
barnie.gif

get your traps out and bait for raccoon ..............
sad.png
sorry this happened. just remember for next time that these guys are always scrounging for a meal.

Good Luck!! In all it's elements I love nature... love those walks around the lake, love the mountains, love the bugs that thrill my kids, etc. Until "nature" disrupts my house, children or life - then all love is gone, and the war is on!!
somad.gif
Go get him!!
thumbsup.gif

Please tell me how it happen?
How did the predator get to your chickens?
Was there a two foot high board around your run?
barnie.gif

Another racoon murder.
somad.gif
So sorry for your little pullet.

One took off the head of one of my pet hens last year....through chain link fencing. Now have 2' high metal attached to the bottom of it, plus a hot wire. Seems like racoons don't miss a moment of opportunity.

Sorry for your loss...
I have noticed every single day at least one BYC member with this same problem. I think it is up to us to do all we can to help keep our flock safe and healthy. I found some good advice here on predator proofing. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3996 If you do a search you can find many other good ideas to keep them safe & sound. good luck

Last edited:
it was one of those time that I just put them in this pen overnight till I could get a better pen built. My other pen is made of rabbit wire and has 6 strands of electric fence. The only reason I didn't put them in with my other chickens is because they were new birds. I could just kick myself!!! I wonder what the chances are that he will come back tonight? I was gonna sit down there and see if I could see him and send him to be with Jesus. I don't have a trap. I guess I could get one from animal control and tell them its for a cat. That wouldn't be a lie because a cat may wonder in it. If a coon got in there I would have to do something with/to it. Opps!!!!

Back
Top Bottom