(Im)patiently waiting for someone to lay an egg!

Jrobinsonmtplus3

Chirping
May 20, 2017
My girls (2 speckled Sussex, 2 buff orphingtons 2 golden laced wyondeyte, and 2 Plymouth rocks) are 21 weeks old and I'm dyiiiing to get an egg already!
No one's singing yet, only my rocks have red combs and waddles... no one lays down when pet. What other signs should I look for in these breeds specifically?
They finish off a 2 gal feeder of crumble in about a week give or take. I've got grit and oyster out for them and throw scratch irregularly maybe 2-4 times a week, and they get a few handfuls of mealworms about as often. They range for 3-5 hrs a week freely in our yard (otherwise are in the run) .
Just wanting to make sure I'm not missing anything while I'm waiting

My girls (2 speckled Sussex, 2 buff orphingtons 2 golden laced wyondeyte, and 2 Plymouth rocks) are 21 weeks old and I'm dyiiiing to get an egg already!
No one's singing yet, only my rocks have red combs and waddles... no one lays down when pet. What other signs should I look for in these breeds specifically?
They finish off a 2 gal feeder of crumble in about a week give or take. I've got grit and oyster out for them and throw scratch irregularly maybe 2-4 times a week, and they get a few handfuls of mealworms about as often. They range for 3-5 hrs a week freely in our yard (otherwise are in the run) .
Just wanting to make sure I'm not missing anything while I'm waiting

They get red around the eyes. And mine get somewhat irritable with lots of chattering.

Only the Golden Comet out of my batch of 24 week olds has started laying. She does not sing or squat. My golden laced wyandotte has gotten a bit more red around the comb, wattles, eyes, but I think one or two of my others will lay an egg before she does (that's the only breed we have in common - my others are the golden comet, cuckoo marans, easter egger and black australorp, who I expect to hear from next).

Back
Top Bottom